Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Premier Oyster (Blue) Hifi Snare

I just picked up a late 60's Hifi in Oyster (Blue). It's in decent shape. The wrap is free of cracks and the chrome has very minor pitting.

Funny story about this snare. I was in a local music store about 6 months ago and someone brought this in to sell. The store didn't want it and the seller left before I had a chance to offer anything for the drum.

Tonight I searched the local GC online Used section and they had a 4x14 Premier snare listed. I stopped on my way home to check it out. There wasn't a 4" Premier snare, but the same 5.5x14 10 lug wooden Hifi in Oyster I saw 6 months ago. It has the updated 60's Premier badge without serial number. I think it was a sign. I'll post pictures soon.

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

Here's some pictures. This snare is going to clean up really nice. After removing the hoops and lugs, the wrap is bright and has little to no fade. I applied 2 passes of Novus #2 and then a heavy coat of Novus #1. Aside from a couple of very small blemishes, the wrap looks new. The hardware is taking an overnight Dawn bath and actually looks better than I initially thought.

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

Lovely drum. Great finish, it's my favourite from premier ever.

40's Slingerland Radio King WMP
60's Ludwig Downbeat Silver Spark
70's Ludwig Super Classic White Marine
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks, Geckobeats.

As usual, the Premier chrome is really going to look great after the Dawn bath. When I first bought the snare, I was really concerned the hardware was in worse shape and that I made a mistake with the purchase.

I measured the shell and it's a little under-sized, but standard head collars fit inside the cast hoops. I'm guessing this might be a pre-international shell with international hoops. Plus, it has the newer 60's badge without a serial number. Does anyone know when Premier switched to the newer badge? How about switching from metric shells to international?

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

nice drum. Snares are international size it's just the 12s and 16s (and some 20s and 22s going back a bit further) that are pre-international, prior to 1968 I think.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 9 years ago

I just sold my Prem Oyster 20,"12",16 AND matching 2001 snare last night.....only took 14 mths to sell.....I chit you not!......Cleaned top to bottom..new heads...looked amazing!..$1,050 plus packing materials/shipping

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 9 years ago

My set was The Whip!.......As is snare in OP post....

My snare,being the 2001..was same color/model...as the one Mitch used on 1st Hendrix LP!>>So..when you hear Purple Haze/Manic Depression/Wind Cries Mary..that a Prem 2001 snare in Oyster!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 9 years ago

All cleaned up and ready to go. Evans Power Center Reverse Dot on top and Evans Hazy on the bottom with Puresound 20's. It a great sounding snare that's really sensitive. Almost to the point where you can just press on the batter head and the snares buzz.

I've said it before, but I'm not sure why Premier doesn't get more respect. The chrome was and is the best out of any manufacturer. The shells are super thin 3-ply with a build quality that blows away the big 4 USA manufacturers of their time period. The insides of the shells look just as good as the outsides. The re-rings are symmetrical (not rough cut) and the shell interiors are sanded with a nice even coat of clear. Does the inside of the shell appearance really affect the sound of the drum? Probably not. But it does say that Premier took a lot pride in every aspect of their product. When it comes to restoring/detailing, Premier drums are fast becoming my favorite and they don't sound too bad either. ;)

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

I agree Tim. I guess this is a plus though to those wanting vintage Premiers. Great drum and at affordable price. For sellers, not so good.

I'd love to see an entire kit in that wrap. Fabulous.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

I figured I'd ask here first before posting something in the wanted section.

Is there anyone in the US that has 4 of the Premier thin washers for the slotted tension rods? I'll send a self addressed stamped envelope and a couple bucks.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here