Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Premier Olympic Small Hardware

I'm working on my 70s Olympic snare drum. I attempted to remove the lugs for a complete spa treatment. Unfortunately, I encountered a screw head that while it appeared to be Phillips, a Phillips screwdriver does not mate up properly (see pic). Please let me know what tool I need to remove those screws properly.

Many thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Hi! I've encountered numerous Phillips-style screws when removing hardware from Premier drums over the years. I had the same problem, but found that through trying different Philips screwdrivers I eventually found one that worked. Sometimes it's as simple as finding one which has more of a point than another. As far as I'm aware, there's no special tool needed for this.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 5 years ago

From brody

Hi! I've encountered numerous Phillips-style screws when removing hardware from Premier drums over the years. I had the same problem, but found that through trying different Philips screwdrivers I eventually found one that worked. Sometimes it's as simple as finding one which has more of a point than another. As far as I'm aware, there's no special tool needed for this.

It also may be that the inside of those screws were damaged by the guy (or gal) before me.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hi DD!

I think I may know what your issue might be! I have a set of 70's Premier snare drum lugs, with original Phillips-style screws. Upon closer inspection of the screws just now, I see that they are not Phillips, but a style called "Pozi". I have a set of both regular Phillips and Pozi-phillips bits. Here's a link that will be really helpful... https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/09/16/what-is-the-difference-screw-bits-phillips-vs-pozidriv

I feel that this is your issue. Are these Pozi bits available in your area? Also, it's very easy for a standard Phillips screwdriver head to render the Pozi depression unserviceable. This has happened to me and I've had excellent results in just using a small pliers to grasp the round head and loosen it.

Hope this all helps. Let us know!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Sounds like a Pozi scheme to me!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 5 years ago

Sorry..couldn’t help it.......Getting back to Premier....what do you use to get the screws out of early 60s Drums?..They have like a star pattern..and they really drove those in....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 5 years ago

From blairndrums

Sounds like a Pozi scheme to me!

Funny Post A "Pozi" scheme! I like it! LoLoLoLo

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

No troubles.

Many years ago I've used for this purpose a simple slotted screwdriver modified with table grinding machine.

Cheers,

George.

Posted on 5 years ago

That's useful to know! I never heard of Pozi until read your reply Mark! Guess I must have just got lucky, or had a 'Pozi-like' Philips knocking around!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 5 years ago

There is another Phillips type called JIS which stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. As the name implies used by Japanese manufacturers. It is designed with even less "cam out" than Pozidriv. I wondered for years why my Phillips screwdrivers worked so poorly on Japanese screws. The beauty of the JIS screwdrivers is that they will work on Phillips screws and can even remove most Phillips that have been "rounded out". A must have if you work with a lot of Japanese products or Phillips screws.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here