Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Premier Mahogany kit

I picked up a mid 70's Premier kit with Mahogany shells with re-rings.

I removed the wrap from the rack and floor tom, but someone had previously rewrapped the kit and had painted the bass a glossy black paint. I was really disappointed to see that.

What would you recommend using to remove the glue from the tom shells, and the black paint and glue residue from the bass?

I had planned to use Tung Oil on the drums until I saw the black paint. Now, I am thinking of using a black stain or black paint, but figure I will need to get as much pigment out of the shell as I can so they all match well with each other.

Am I better off just painting or staining the drums for ease of use, overall cost and time required?

I plan to sell the kit once I am done as I have 2 other project kits I plan to tackle and keep - a 3 ply Ludwig kit and and a late 70's Gretsch kit. The Premier kit just needs to look decent as it is a players kit, and I would like to get it done as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago

If you plan on flipping it, it would be a waste of time for you to go tung oil on it. It will do nothing for its resale value. You will spend more money and time on it and you will never get it back in profit. It's a players kit, wrap it and sell it.

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. It is missing a bass reso hoop and has unoriginal t-rods and claws to go on it when I do find a bass hoop, un-original triple flange hoops on the reso side of the 12" and 16". It may/not have the bass mouting hardware for a 2nd rack tom which I do not have.

I want to get the most out of it, but figured wrapping it would run around $200 or so, so I figured I would not end up getting that back out of it since it is not in original shape. Maybe I need to research resale values a little more.

If I do wrap it, I was thinking something like Red Sparkle or just plain black wrap that would be true to the era. Thoughts on colors?

Thanks!

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here