Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Premier Mahogany Duroplastic

This is my first vintage kit, purchased earlier this year covered in dust and grime. Similar kit to the one used by Ringo when he joined The Beatles. Came with original bass, bass pedal, floor tom, 12 inch tom, and hi-hat stand. I took everything apart, cleaned and buffed, then reassembled. I've since added a flat base snare stand. Currently set up with a late 90s Cabria snare and Sabian cymbals.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

What a "fab" kit, yea, yea, yea...! I love that root beer wrap. Thanks for sharing the pics. It looks brand new. GREAT JOB on cleaning her up. How does she sound?

Posted on 10 years ago

That is a pretty special kit. Congratulations and nice job on the cleaning.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

That is a very sweet first vintage kit! I'm sure she sounds great!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 10 years ago

You gotta` love those vintage Premier sets.Congrats on your first older beauties and enjoy that wrap colour too!Great set for sure...

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for those comments guys! Yeah, it is a cool rig and I'm really lucky to have chanced upon it. Previous owner was cleaning out his garage and practically gave it away. It wasn't til I got it home and did some research on the net that I realised it was almost identical to Ringo's. He played the same kit pre-Beatles when he was with Rory Storm and The Hurricanes, then for the first 9 months he was a Beatle, including the recording of their first album. As a life-long Beatles tragic, I am in heaven!! These drums are great to play, and have a nice warm tone. My next quest is to buy a pair of Premier flat-bottom cymbal stands.

Posted on 10 years ago

It's great to see other VDF members post their Premier Mahogany Duroplastic kits. I also have a kit in 12/14/20 and they sound amazing.

The condition of your kit's wrap looks great. I see the tom tom is a pre-international size by the current head's collar sticking out. It's not a problem, but Remo still makes pre-international heads that would fit the hoops, if you need/want new heads.

**** BA-0112-PR-

Batter, AMBASSADOR®, Coated, 12" Diameter, 11-7/8" Actual Diameter, For Premier-Sized Drums

You can post an ad in the Wanted section for the missing bass cymbal arm mount. Someone on here's bound to have one.

Rumor has it Ringo's Premier kit was sold to an Australian business man that shipped it from England back to Australia. :eek: Ringo's kit had Rogers Swivo-matic tom tom mounts.

-Tim

Posted on 10 years ago

Hi Tim, nice to hear from a fellow PMD owner! Yeah, I learnt the hard way that the heads were a specific size, after I bought the 12 inch ones. I'll definitely be replacing them. I've actually just bought a cymbal mount on eBay (from UK) and expect to receive it next week. I'd really like to see a photo of your kit. Do you have all the authentic hardware? The wrap on my kit is in very good condition except for a few inches that have lifted from the rear lower side of the floor tom. I think I'll leave it be, the lug and leg mount keep it in place.

Posted on 10 years ago

Here is a link to a thread I started about the kit:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=35088

Here is a link to a thread on my Mahogany Duroplastic Olympic by Premier snare:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=43367

I have since added a matching 14x14 floor tom. Now I need to get some nice pictures of everything together. I know where the matching 14x5.5 snare that was originally sold with the 2 piece kit is located, but the current owner wants to keep it for now.

My son used this kit at church last week in a Jazz Combo group and it sounded amazing.

-Tim

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for those threads Tim, I checked 'em out. You're lucky to have a matching snare, I'm hoping to get one myself one day. Here are a few more shots of my kit. I've got an early '60s bass striker coming from the UK, along with the missing bass drum cymbal mount. Note the fat washers on the floor tom tension rods. I ran out of original ones so I used some spares from a Cabria tom. I also need a couple of original winged thumb screws to upgrade the tom tom mount. There's a long way to go, but it's worth it! Ray

3 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here