Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

premier kit looking sad

iv had my dads old premier kit, i think its a 1954 or 1960. its looking a bit sad with faded veneer and chrome plating starting to wear off. are there ways of restoring this. it still plays beautifully and is solid in construction its just the aesthetics give it a very worn and tired look.

this may be a sin but i was contemplating stripping the veneer and varnishing the wood. im sure this may upset the purists. was wondering what such and act would do for the sound if any. any comments.

drew

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Purple"]Post a pic - you have a number of options but we need to see the drums :o[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

thanks for the reply.

iv tried to upload a pic of the set. as you can see some of the veneer has peeled off the rings of the base drum. originally gave me the idea of striping it all off and varnishing. i must say the more i browse this site the more i want to restore it to its original condition.

most of the parts are still original except for some lugs on the base drum, back skin as in pic. the original snare holder is not holding the snare in position. still have the parts and will look at restoring that as well.

at this stage i need direction. this is completely new for me. the kit hold lots of sentimental value and would love to restore it properly.

Drew

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Looks pretty cool as it is aside from just a cleaning maybe... :Snow Flake:

Found it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

You could try wet sanding to the original green sparkle? I'm wet sanding old 60's Ludwig sparkle floor-tom as we speak.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

ill try the wet sanding and possibly a polish afterwards. its amazing how a little spit and polish makes a hugh difference. tried a mild rubbing compound on the chrome and wow what a difference. also fining the mere act of taking it apart and puting it back together fixes some of the problems of sticking and the likes.

What type of skins should i be looking at to try and get back to the original sound? any ideas. im limited to Remo for the floor tom a they are the only ones that make the size. it seems its an odd size.

thanks to this site im all inspired to restore the kit.

drew

Posted on 14 years ago

Beautiful old kit Drew. Great to hear your intentions of restoring her to original splendour.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here