Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Premier Gold Sparkle

I recently picked up an absolutely beautiful Premier kit from (I think) the early 60's.... 20" bass, two 12" toms and a 14" floor tom. The chrome is absolutely perfect. No pitting, scratches or anything remotely bad. Original heads (pre international on the 12" toms, international on bass and floor tom). Just needed a gentle soak/polish and all the lugs and die cast rims look like the did when they left the factory. As for the wrap, the two 12" toms and floor tom have very small amounts of black spots which appears to be normal for this wrap, but in no way detracts from the whole appearance. The shells (birch) and all perfect also. I've even got a set of Lokfast stands ready to go. (Best snare stand ever, by the way).

The only problem is the bass drum, and on the bottom section the wrap has lifted and almost melted in a couple of sections. It was originally taped on (guess no glue for Premier back in the day).

So.... I'm trying to figure out the best way to make it 'right'. The good part is that it's on the bottom section so wont be seen, but I'm not sure wether to cut straight lines in the existing wrap and patch with sections of similar era wrap that I have from some WFP hoops (the match is pretty much exact), or find some way to 'remelt' the existing wrap so that it's flat... as I said, it's almost as if it melted (heat,chemicals???) and can't be simply glued back down.

Another issue is that the wrap on the kick is only being held on by the lugs, so when I do reattach the wrap, do I use tape (as originally done) or go for glue.

Here's a couple of pictures of the bass drum and also one of the toms all cleaned up and ready to play. Any suggestions welcomed.

3 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

cool kit. It's not uncommon for these wraps to crack. I've not tried to fix something like this but because it's on the underside I'd be inclined to patch it up as best you can with whatever you've got. It's hard to pick up the melting in the photos but if you can trim the edges and then glue them down then maybe that would be best.

And yes, the lokfast stands are the best.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here