Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Premier Genista for Jazz?

Hello drummers,

i recently baught a Premier Genista from the 90's in the sizes 18" and 20" bd, 8",10",12",14" Tom Tom and 14" floortom. I play mostly Jazz, but also in a Indie Rockband. Thats why I baught the kit cause I am quite fexible. Especcially cause I have the version with the lower depth toms.

It works perfectly in the Indie context, but for Jazz I find it quite difficult to get the right tone. The other day I had the chance to play a Gretsch Renown and that sounded like a real Jazz Kit! Fot the Genista, it seems to me that the perfect tuning range is mid to low. When I tune it high, it loses its sustain and goes "dead", especially the 12" Tom Tom. It's not too bad, cause I don't like crazy high bob tunings anyway. I will post a pic of my kit later.

I play it with Ambas coated/clear.

What's your experience with the Genista (made in England-version) in the Jazz context?

Posted on 3 years ago

none but If I had that drumset I would tune it up (that 12...) and play it how it sounds and possibly over time would be able to manipulate it's tone by 'me'. By what you throw at it. Your hands. Unless it chokes to be an inaudible drum. I 'd just go along with it and learn to manipulate it

: )

Accept it on it's terms then go about doing your business on it..

As the owner of a 14X18 9X10 10X12 12X14 power tom Jazz Gretsch USA Bop kit.

You learn to accept and then attack (put your ideas on ).

"traditional" isn't always the only way to go..

unless the Genista 12 gets inaudible at moderate/moderate hi tension..

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 3 years ago

I too have never had a Genista, but will be interested to read what others might have to say about it.

I suggest you place it on a snare stand instead of using the bass mount to see if you get a different reaction at high tunings.

Posted on 3 years ago

I got my 90s genista kit a couple of years ago, it was my first 'new' kit in 25 years! 10" 12" 14" floor Tom 20" kick. I've been playing it for weekly big band rehearsals (about 13 players more or less) and it sounds very nice, so that incorporates a lot of jazz. I don't use the 10" Tom - just the 12" on the kick drum and 14" floor Tom, I don't use the snare but use my radio king, but must say the snare drum on this kit is amazingly good, but being birch I prefer it for rock and contempory stuff. One thing I've done is to use Aquarian modern vintage heads on the batter side of the toms this has mellowed the tone slightly because birch kits can get loud I think. So yes I'm liking it VERY much. - better than my battered old pearl DX kit.Cool1[Attachment: [Attachment: [ATTACH]132833]][/ATTACH]

1 attachments
I love the jazz era
Posted on 3 years ago

More pics, sorry their not perfect.[Attachment: [Attachment: 132834]]. I picked up this genista snare in different colour a while after.

1 attachments
137.6 kB
I love the jazz era
Posted on 3 years ago

..[Attachment: 132835]. Can't wait till this pandemic is over so we will all be able to get out there and play again.D' Drummer

1 attachments
I love the jazz era
Posted on 3 years ago

Hey olddrumgeak...very nice! Thats exactly the snare I am looking for, I guess its the Sapphire Blue lacquer finish?

I also got my Genista just recently (last year in summer), before I played a Gretsch Catalina, which I must admitt, in direct comparison, sounds surprisingly good given its low price.

A couple of weeks ago I got a 60's Premier Royal Ace Snare. Probably the best snare I have played so far, especially for Jazz! I was a bit hesistant at the beginning cause it doesnt match colorwise, its in a beautiful white marine pearl. But then I saw Bill Stewarts kit playing with Larry Goldings at Village Vanguard and said to me...f...it. Play it and have fun!

Alternatively I play a Premier 2000, which I also love. My third snare is a colormatching XPK from the 90s that sounds surprisingly good!

Thanks for your reccomendation regarding the Aquarian modern vintage heads. I play Ambassadors coated/clear at the moment, but I will try those!

Whenever you think of selling the Genista Snare, PLEEEEASE let me know:)

2 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

Yeah, I agree with Mr Stewart, it doesn't matter about colour matching just play it. I actualy like my snares to be non matching, it being sort of like a customised thing. Cool. I once had a royal ace the shell had good sound, though mine did have the original wires which I thought were a bit too dry and scratchy sounding I think they had 'dried out' a bit and had become brittle. I haven't had a 2000 but did once own a brass hi- if snare which sounded very good. I will definately let you know if I decide to sell the genista snare. Great drums the genista ehh.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 3 years ago

That's the thing! My Royal Ace came with broken wires, so I had to find some replacements. After a couple of unsuccessful soldering attempts, I found a guy on one of the fb groups who makes them. Not double 10, but single 20. And he offers three different wire thicknesses: from 0,40mm - 0,50mm. Absolutely amazing! That's how I fell in love with my Royal Ace. He does replacements for all Premier snares btw....

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here