Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Premier Experts, please...

Is the red sparkle they used in the '70s a pretty standard red sparkle? Is it glass? Can I get a decent match from Jammin' Sam or elsewhere?

Thanx in advance for your answers...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, you're right.

Sometimes in 1979 I played on Olympic 76' - it was precisely the "red sparkle" - glass glitter type.

I think it's indeed available from JS now.

George.

Posted on 13 years ago

I haven't seen this drum in person that's coming my way, but it's NOS with red sparkle (or glass). While I was going to just recover it to match my other recovered Premier drums, it would be a shame to recover a perfectly good red sparkle drum.I have other orphan Premiers that I would put this drum with if it is determined that I can wrap other drums to match it.

I kinda suspected it being glass.

I suppose I could have JS send me samples of red sparkle and red glass to compare with what's on this drum.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Premier listed their finishes in the 1970's catalogues as Sparkle. I had to do a repair on the bass drum of a Beverley kit dating from just a little earlier than the 70's----it was a Premier drum with Beverley lugs and the wrap, which I had to cut and patch was very thick , with a fairly rough textured surface. It did seem to have glass or plastic particles in it but they were very coarse. I would guess that the British wrap was made in the U.K. because it was quite different from the wraps , then being used in Europe(mostly from Deutsche Celluloid Werken) or American ones (Delmar). Now , there is just Delmar and they supply Jammin Sam, Drummaker,Precision and probably everyone else with sparkles and glitters. You can get samples from most suppliers. I do have samples right at hand of the red sparkle and red glitter that Delmar makes and they are quite different than the finish on the Beverley drum. The British finish had a rough ,not shiney surface ,whereas these new samples have an almost mirror finish , similar to the 1950's and 60's German stuff.The new Delmar red glitter has a slightly smaller grain structure than the Beverley wrap, the sparkle, a decidedly smaller grain structure. Colour match would be easier with red than gold---gold is highly variable. I ended up getting new wrap to do the Beverley kit and the new Gold was more orange than the older British stuff and it will look much better.

Posted on 13 years ago

I would ascertain then that I may as well just recover the NOS drum I am getting, then. I thought of building another kit around this drum IF I could match up wrap for it. But if it's going to be difficult, I would rather match it up with my mongrel Premier kit, you know?

I am not going for vintage value, just vintage vibe on this kit. I would probably be looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find wrap to match.

Thanks for your help, calfskin.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Just got the drum today...

1) the wrap isn't quite as bumpy as I thought it would be; however, it would be very, very difficult to match.

2) Is there a possible market for the discarded wrap? I would think it could serve someone some use looking for patching material for a red sparkle Premier kit.

Even though it is NOS, there is a teeny bit of surface rust on the hoops!!! No tags, but the string the hang tag was on was on a tension rod!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

I'll buy the wrap. PM me please.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here