Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Premier Drums Identification

Hi,

Anybody able to helpidentify/value/age my drums. Inherited them 10 years ago from an elderly friend who found them in her attic when moving house.They initially came in carry cases along with a Benjamin Podemski rudiments book. Stickers on the case would suggest they'ref rom the 1950s? I may be way off, who knows?

Still have (original?) calf skin heads on the bass, woodblock and cymbal stands/bass drum pedal. Also have cymbals and Ajax snare drum. Only one damaged calf head remains on the bongos.

Dimensions are (in cm)

Bass Drum - width 60cm, depth 34cm (10 lugs)

Bongos - width 15 1/2cm and 20cm, depth 13 1/2cm

Interiors are natural wood, probably ply?

Finish is black pearl.

All are in what I'd consider to be excellent condition. Just wish I'd ensured I kept the pieces of the kit together, but as a youth was pretty irresponsible so lost things like the original key, bongo holder etc.

Dust on drums due to house recently being plastered.

Hope you can help and thanks,

Graham

3 attachments
67.6 kB
44.7 kB
141.9 kB
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's the helvetica kinda font Premier badge, I think that places it mid-60's...the 50's badge was script. The bass drum appears to be a marching drum, I can see the 2 holes on top which once attached the harness. But then, those ARE the proper Premier bass spurs and mounts on it...so maybe it was a bass on floor drum.

Also, the lugs and t-rods place it in that time period.

Probably about $100 for the bass drum, maybe $100-150 for the bongos.

Bongos appear stained inside ? If the bass drum is natural, it's probably a birch shell....

Cool.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

That's a regular "floor" bass drum. Someone just removed the original mufflers and filled the holes with that "white" stuff. Seems to pre-1967. The interior of the bongos is original. 24" bass drums are not very common as well as the bongos.

where's the rest of the kit? :)

myspace.jcymbal
youtube/jkcymbal
Posted on 15 years ago

yeah thats a regular floor standing kick drum ,the holes on the top are definately where a dampener went (front and back skin)

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for all the information so far. Feels kind of nuts owning a musical instrument that's probably got a good bit of history behind it. Gets you to wondering who's owned and played it in the past.

I'll try and post a picture of the whole kit as it is, including random bits and bobs.

As it has been sitting in my house for over ten years (live in a flat with absolutely no sound proofing) I'll probably be looking to sell it in the near future. Feel free to make others aware of my intentions or make an offer yourself. Any recommendations on the best place to sell a vintage kit in the UK?

Thanks everyone,

Graham

Posted on 15 years ago

I think the best place is ebay.uk!

myspace.jcymbal
youtube/jkcymbal
Posted on 15 years ago

Image of the full kit, as requested.

Thanks once again to you all for your advice and guidance.

Posted on 15 years ago

From gmatuszak

Hi,Anybody able to helpidentify/value/age my drums. Inherited them 10 years ago from an elderly friend who found them in her attic when moving house.They initially came in carry cases along with a Benjamin Podemski rudiments book. Stickers on the case would suggest they'ref rom the 1950s? I may be way off, who knows?Still have (original?) calf skin heads on the bass, woodblock and cymbal stands/bass drum pedal. Also have cymbals and Ajax snare drum. Only one damaged calf head remains on the bongos.Dimensions are (in cm)Bass Drum - width 60cm, depth 34cm (10 lugs)Bongos - width 15 1/2cm and 20cm, depth 13 1/2cm Interiors are natural wood, probably ply?Finish is black pearl.All are in what I'd consider to be excellent condition. Just wish I'd ensured I kept the pieces of the kit together, but as a youth was pretty irresponsible so lost things like the original key, bongo holder etc. Dust on drums due to house recently being plastered.Hope you can help and thanks,Graham

That badge which says Made and Regd ( abbreviated ) in England was first used in 1958 . So this could be a 50's kit .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks everyone, kit is now up for sale on ebay.co.uk. Fingers crossed it'll do well. Would be a travesty to see it sell for a pittance. Reserve is in the low hundreds (very low hundreds).

See:

Would be willing to post internationally but not really sure how that would work out.

Graham

Posted on 15 years ago

Graham,

I think you would do better, (since you don't have a complete set and the snare is a different brand), to sell it through different auctions. One for the bass, one for the snare, one for the cymbal stand and so on...

myspace.jcymbal
youtube/jkcymbal
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here