Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Premier Blue Shimmer drumset

I just picked these up Friday and cleaned them up yesterday. The sizes are 22, 12, 16, and what I believe is a Premier 2000 model snare drum.

The wrap is in pretty nice shape for its age with some light swirl marks and only a few little blemishes though. The chrome is pretty nice. The bass and floor are mahogany and the rack looks like it is beech or birch possibly looking through the tom mount holes. All three have re-rings.

The snare is kind of heavy and a magnet does not stick to it. There are a few blemishes on the snare and it looks sort of greyish where the chrome has flaked in a few places. Not sure if it a brass drum or aluminum, but I would assume aluminum. It has the long rod through the middle.

The bass pedal is missing the rubber cover plate for the pedal. The hi-hat is missing the upper rod and clutch. It has a pretty cool cymbal mount on the bass which has a mini-boom.

The cymbal stand is nice, the snare stand has some light rust. One of the rubber gaskets on the basket has split and they all 3 seem dry rotted to some degree.

The throne is a Ludwig and is missing the small rubber feet. It is not the most comfortable seat due to its size nand thinner depth.

They came with some leather looking cases. The cases had some serious cigarette smoke smell to them. I washed them in the clothes washer 4 times and left them to dry in the garage and they still carry some smell. I even had vinegar in the washer to help with killing the smell. Much better than they were, but not 100% gone.

From a couple of feet away they look like they just came out of the factory.

I feel very fortunate to have found them.

The heads are smooth EverPlay Extra except forthe well used snare head which is coated.

Does any one have an idea on when they were made? I am assuming early - mid 70's because of the mini-boom cymbal on the bass. The wing nut on it says 1975, but that could have been added later, of course. One of the drums has a serial # in the 900's, the others are all higher.

4 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Nice score.

The 2000 was first COB, but only for a very short period. Then it was COA, final version was COS. I'm 98% sure yours is probably COA (most are). I've had several. Great drum. Pitting/flaking is common. The parallel snare mechanism can be a pain for some, but works amazing when all dialed in.

Blue shimmer is a classic Premier finish, that's a great one to have. Your rack is probably Beech (all though some AM shells look like they're Beech, but are in fact AM, to add more confusion). Mixed shelled kits were pretty normal at that time. I have a Premier B303 kit, all shells are African mahogany, my favorite vintage shell. Thin 3 ply, all plies are AM.

Lokfast stands. Very cool. My favorite cymbal stand design, very sexy. I love mine (complete set).

Enjoy!

Posted on 5 years ago

From Trilok_Gurtu

Nice score.The 2000 was first COB, but only for a very short period. Then it was COA, final version was COS. I'm 98% sure yours is probably COA (most are). I've had several. Great drum. Pitting/flaking is common. The parallel snare mechanism can be a pain for some, but works amazing when all dialed in. Blue shimmer is a classic Premier finish, that's a great one to have. Your rack is probably Beech (all though some AM shells look like they're Beech, but are in fact AM, to add more confusion). Mixed shelled kits were pretty normal at that time. I have a Premier B303 kit, all shells are African mahogany, my favorite vintage shell. Thin 3 ply, all plies are AM. Lokfast stands. Very cool. My favorite cymbal stand design, very sexy. I love mine (complete set).Enjoy!

Thanks for the info Trilok. I also think the stands have a cool distinctive look to them.

Posted on 5 years ago

2000 didn't go to steel shell till the mid 80's

Posted on 5 years ago

I love the wrap. I am really partial to the Ludwig strata, Rogers onyx and Slingerland agate wraps. Premiers shimmer finish looks really nice. Might have to get a snare in that wrap for the collection. I don't have any Premiere kits or drums other than a pretty sweet Queens Brigade marcher. I bet it sounds great!

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 5 years ago

From CTMichaelV

I love the wrap. I am really partial to the Ludwig strata, Rogers onyx and Slingerland agate wraps. Premiers shimmer finish looks really nice. Might have to get a snare in that wrap for the collection. I don't have any Premiere kits or drums other than a pretty sweet Queens Brigade marcher. I bet it sounds great!

Thanks! I had never seen this wrap before I went to look at this kit. It really takes on neat features when light hits you can see a lot more detail in it than the stripes.

Still waiting on a drum key to arrive from across the pond, so I have not messed with tuning at all. So, I am looking forward to seeing what I can pull out of them.

Posted on 5 years ago

I received my drum key a couple of weeks ago and have had a chance to play with the tuning. These are GREAT sounding drums even with what I assume are the originial heads that are likely 45 years old, I am guessing!?!

Posted on 5 years ago

Between Sonor teardrops and Premier AM shells, I find it hard to pick a fave. I have not owned a maple or birch kit for some time now, and after you dial your kit in, you may have the same experience...enjoy!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 5 years ago

From wayne

Between Sonor teardrops and Premier AM shells, I find it hard to pick a fave. I have not owned a maple or birch kit for some time now, and after you dial your kit in, you may have the same experience...enjoy!

Wayne, thanks for posting. How similar are the Sonor Teardrop shells to the Premier AM shells?

Do you know if the new Sonor Teardrop similar in shell composition to the vintage Sonor Teardrop drums?

I am not looking to buy the new Teardrops, but would love to know how they compare to the Premiers and vintage Sonor.

Thanks!

Posted on 5 years ago

I have owned some Sonor teardrops, but never any Premieres. They both have a sense of style: Premiere with their triangular stand bases and mounting brackets, oval stand tubes and single-winged screws on their stands and bass drum tension rods. Very cool. The drums look great, also. I hope they meet your needs.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here