Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Premier Black Shadow

Hey guys,

First post here, I'm an Australian 23yo, drummer (obviously).

I play a Premier Black Shadow kit, all I know of it is that it is mid to late 80's, and that's about it. I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this range of kits, construction, materials etc. I am tossing up a new kit, but also have a feeling that with some newer hardware and a solid re-skin, this kit might keep on.

It is an eight piece (2 kicks, 4 rack, 1 floor (10"/12"/13"/14"/16" from memory) but I play it as a 5pce, one up two down for gigs (12"/14"/16").

Not really any specific questions, I just wondered if anyone has any info on the things? Are/were they good/bad, who used them, any recommendations for getting the best from them?

Cheers,

Gints

Posted on 14 years ago

Before they got bought out, Premier made great drums. I've got a few British kits, and the build quality is always good. Your kit was from the resonator range, which originally started off life as a high end Olympic (Premiers 'budget' range - same quality shells, just cheaper hardware. I'm not sure of the wood, but a lot of older drums were birch. If you could take off a head and give us a shot of the interior that would help though. Personally I'd keep them. Build quality was beeter in those days. Your kit started production in 1983 and finished 10 years later. The closer to 83 the better the quality I'd guess.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

Good assesment, but not sure I would class it as a 'High End Budget Kit'. The resonators were a lot better than the Olympic/club kits of the time!

I've got 3 kits from different era's A 1965 4 piece , a 6 piece Signia and a 4 piece Genista , all of them lovely kits. Sold a 78 Elite a few years back and regret it but I kept a 22" Kick which still 'sings'. Pity they haven't kept up the quality control in recent years.:rolleyes:

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, a bit misleading. I meant the resonators came in when Premier stopped doing the high end Olympics, thus taking their place, in a way. They were better than Olympics I would imagine! Again, keep hold of 'em I say!

Posted on 14 years ago

From brody

Yeah, a bit misleading. I meant the resonators came in when Premier stopped doing the high end Olympics, thus taking their place, in a way. They were better than Olympics I would imagine! Again, keep hold of 'em I say!

Brody,

With all respect, I don't think this is correct.

Olympic were 2nd tier budget drums throughout their history--even though some very fine Olys got made. They were never high end. Eventually Premier retired the Olympic line (1979)and replaced them with a Premier badged budget line. Premier Clubs?

Resonators (1972) were marketed as first tier by Premier.They were developed by Allen Gilbey who still makes drums for a company called Richmo, and is still building resonators it seems.

Black Shadows were put on the market in the mid 80's, and, along with the still produced Resonators, had resonator shells. I believe they were Projector model drums with Resonator inner shells. Resonators got the high tension lugs, and Black Shadows got individual lugs I believe.

http://www.myspace.com/richmodrums

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/drums/acoustic/drum-kits/4-piece-drum-kits/resonator-2-kenny-clare-kit-17384/review

Interesting stuff.

cheers

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry. all I meant was that when Olympic ceased being made, Resonators came in. They took their place in terms of a kit being produced, but not in the sense that they were a product line replacement. I'm aware of Olympic's standing as a budget range. The resonators were clearly superior, as I do in fact acknowledge.

Hey, we want some pics!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Premiers from that period and before were generally very good and in Oz you'll find they were quite plentiful (also older ones) compared to American drums (also marginally, though only marginally, cheaper). Japanese drums ended up dominating in Oz but it's always nice to have something a bit different, right?

Model aside, Premier have also had a slightly mythical status because of their association with the likes of Keith Moon of The Who and Clem Burke of Blondie. As you're 23 this won't mean diddley squat to you but they're good drums and headed up nicely, they should sound great.

Keep it simple and stick Ambassadors on 'em top and bottom so you can hear what the shells genuinely sound-like.

Posted on 14 years ago

Keep on Pl

Posted on 14 years ago

From brody

Sorry. all I meant was that when Olympic ceased being made, Resonators came in. They took their place in terms of a kit being produced, but not in the sense that they were a product line replacement. I'm aware of Olympic's standing as a budget range. The resonators were clearly superior, as I do in fact acknowledge.Hey, we want some pics!!!

I am sorry Brody, because this is a forum that does try to get the history right and the mysteries unravelled, I don't agree with:

"when Olympic ceased being made, Resonators came in"

Olympics ran till 1979, Resonators were introduced in 1972 and had been in production for 7 years before the plug was pulled on the Olympic line.

cheers,

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago

The guy describes his kit as a black shadow resonator. They came in in 1983. Sorry, should have been a bit more accurate when I first mentioned it.

He's not got back since, which makes this mix up of mine all the more amusing. To gints - sorry, I do sometime rush and abridge to put my input in when I get some time in front of the PC, but I think in all of this you'll have some interesting info. If you're still there!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here