Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Premier African Mahogany?

Hello Gentleman,

So I've had this Premier kit for a few years now 20/12/16...and I started thinking that they were African Mahogany shells. I believe the set is a 303 minus one tom. Die cast hoops on batter, was originally missing resonant hops.

Bass drum and floor tom have a dark wood with re-rings like this:

[Attachment: 18930]

The 12" seems much lighter in color. Could this be a Birch shell:

[Attachment: 18931]

After reading a little online, I am intrigued. Could this kit be a African Mahogany Premier. The sound is really low fundamental note compare to my other kits?

[Attachment: 18932]

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Randy Lane's YouTube Page
Posted on 14 years ago

The tom is a different series it seems, because of the single lugs on it vs. the double lugs on the others. And you are correct in the assertion the bass and FT are likely AM. That will be the reason for the lower tone. I love these mahog shells because they have a deep, rich tone.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I was going by this image taken from the Premier catalog scans:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/premier_drumsets/1968_premier_drumsets1.jpg

It seems the FT has top & bottom lugs.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

So the AM shells are sought after I assume? I mean they sound incredible!

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

In the U.S I have run into a few Premier AM kits,they were mid 70's,and all the shells were AM,but I have seen on these forums some mixed kits from that era where all the drums matched hardware/series wise.I don't know a lot about premier drums but it looks like your mt has 60's style teardrop lugs,the floor tom lugs look like they are 70's.The few premier AM kits I know of were sold for around 350.00,so they are the best buy for a mahogany kit around,considering what pearl mmx or keller same species kits go for,new or used.The vintage mahog/poplar/ mahog U.S kits from the 50's and 60's go for much more than 350.00 400.00.So if you are looking for that warm low end those kits are the best kept secret.I always wondered how Premier came to use Mahogany considering that #1, that was the time when the American drum companies had quit using Mahogany because it was becoming hard to get and expensive,and #2 as far as I can tell the English companies used beech and birch,I can't ever remember seeing an example of an English mahogany drum except for these 70's premiers,and they didn't use it for long,2 to 3 years maybe?

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow. Thanks for the information. Sure is funny what some of these companies did 30+ years ago. In addition, I heard that Premier serial numbers provide no basis / information about when a kit was actually produced. Funny old lads they were.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

The use of AM by Premier started around 1971 and kits were still supplied with the odd AM shell up to 1976. Large quantities of Premier's single headed concert toms available from 1976 were AM shells. The AM shells are actually a sandwich of mahogany-birch-mahogany often with beech re-rings. This kit is from the same "series", although Premier at this time actually only made two different lines; Premier and Olympic, there were no sub-brands" at this time. The first "sub-brand" was the Kenny Clare Resonator introduced around 1974.

The 389 tom arm sockets, 289 disappearing spurs and 383 floor tom leg blocks place this kit c.1972. The tom arms were superceded in 1974 by the 390 (oval stem) twin tom holder, the 289 spurs shortly thereafter by folding "gull-wing" spurs and floor tom leg got a version of the 392-35 block used on the 390 tom holder with smaller holes to accomodate the thinner legs. Eventually, floor tom legs legs were made of the same steel stock as the tom arms which eliminated the problem of having two versions of the 392-35.

www.blenheimdrums.co.uk
Premier spare parts
Posted on 14 years ago

WOW!

Thanks Mike.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

Also, the lugs ARE correct BTW, Premier used the double row of "tear-drop" lugs on floor toms, bongos, single headed toms ect.,while rack toms and bass drums got a single row double ended lugs, until later in the 70's... I have a full set of 70's Premier with the birch/beech(i believe) but my recently added 8x14" has the mahogany! I think the sound of the mahogany isn't exactly what people think of when they think "vintage premier" as most of the drummers from the 60's most likely had the birch/beech(?) shells(Keith Moon's early stuff, Mitch Mitchell(Are You Experienced was recorded on his Premier's and he features his 8x14" quite a lot, Nick Mason of Pink FLoyd used Premier on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Umaguma...)...I have yet to try out my new mahogany tom, and Im expecting a much darker tone compared to the "boingy" sound of the others! ahah, Ill be recovering this kit soon so Ill post some pics!:2Cents:

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here