Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Premier 303 Vintage '68 resto

This kit has been sitting in the back room for over a year now...

I finally got to it after doing a little research. Turns out it was the same (or very close to) wrap as Keith moon used in the "Pictures of Lilly" tour back in the day. The part of Moon's kit that survived the crash bang up antics of The Who sold at Christies auction house for a cool $249,000!! The most expensive drum kit in history...

I'm feeling like this should be restored not only to look at but to play... the shells are gorgeous.

The old mahogany was very dry and sucked up close to 1/2 pint of Tung oil!

The hardware and lugs have very little pitting. It took a lot of elbow grease to clean up the chrome as it was caked with decades of cigarette smoke. I painted over some bare spots on the bass drum where the wrap had peeled, so its passable. I did not want to do a re-wrap and discovered I didn't have to after all. Bearing edges were near perfect except for the 14" tom and the bass. Some sanding did the trick though. I had one re-ring on the 14" to re-glue. The re-rings are actually Beech. All the die-cast rims are excellent. The bottom left pic is prior to clean up and Tung Oil. The Royal Ace snare is done and plays very well!

I just have to put her all back together..:confused:

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a photo of the original "Lok-Fast" stands that came with the kit....Very Jetson's

I'm looking for the wing screws that were a part of the Premier 303. I'm missing one of the flared screws for the stands and the wing screw for a tom mount both screws are visible in the two pics.

If anyone has one kicking around or knows where I could find these, let me know :)

-kellyj

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Kelly,

nice done.

How did you solve the problem with the pink spot on the bass drum (do you have a pic of it)?

Guess, the 'Premier 2000' has a steel shell?

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Finshed the restoration on this Premier 303 in original Silver Star wrap. Complete with Premier 2000 snare and matching stand and hi-hat.

The large open areas of pink where the foil had come off on the bass drum covered up OK and the repair is bacially lost in all the chrome :)

I would like to find one more Lok-fast cymbal stand as it's mising from original configuration.

Just missing a few of the wing bolts for the tom mount. I used Sonor slotted tension rods in their stead. Clapping Happy2

-kellyj

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here