Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Premier 303 Grey Shimmer

Hi Everyone,

I've recently acquired a Premier 303 kit in Grey Shimmer from a family friend who passed away. I've always been more of a Rogers fan, but this kit has some history and I'm looking to try to restore it to it's former glory.

It's in rough shape. All that's left is the bass drum and one of the rack toms. Looks like one of the tom mounts in the bass drum cracked so he added a Ludwig tom mount and spurs. The chrome is fairly pitted.

My biggest issue is the wrap. I absolutely love the grey shimmer, but it's a mess. I cleaned up the tom as well as I could but the bass drum is pretty bad. It's all cracked and bubbling.

In reading through the forums, I've come up dry. Based on what I've read, rewrapping these is not an option unfortunately. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean what's there and prevent it from getting worse?

I'm attaching a pic of what the bass drum looks like today as well as a pic of the kit in use in 1970...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Posted on 10 years ago

I LOVE grey and blue shimmer. I am not much help on how to repair these, but I do wish you the best of luck with those.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

Grey is one of my favorite colors ..must be because I see so much of it in the sky here :-( ....,but I have seen GS a few times in pics...never in person,but I think I like the blue better..

Had a messed up 13" recently in blue...and the finish looked really nice!

They show a 2001 model wood snare in that finish in a catalogue...and it looks amazing!

Can't help with your question...can't get that finish anymore...so don't know what to tell you....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

I suppose the only thing you can do is to slowly work some glue a section at a time and easing the wrap back into position. Once done you could probably touch up the remaining cracks with some model paint. This would be a pretty mediocre repair at best but if you tried one section, you may find that it works for you.

I think Blue Shimmer and Grey Shimmer were some fantastically classy finishes. This catalogue photo occupied quite a lot of my daydreaming time as a teenager. The finish and the LokFast stands were spectacular. The throne....not so much.

1 attachments
tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks. That's actually the course I was heading in. I'd love to do a full restore but without that wrap, it's a lost cause. Thinking trying to glue down what I can and maybe try to seal over it...

Posted on 10 years ago

There's been a grey shimmer on ebay for awhile now. Decent price $549 Buy it Now.

Love the wrap.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here