Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Premier 2000 snare buzzing...

Hi..I have an aluminium 2000 snare which sounds great but the snares buzz a fair bit when the other drums are being played..I'm wondering if it's due to the way I have the wires set but not too sure..The wires are new..Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

The only solution I have come up with that works, is to kick the bass drum and at the same time turn the tension knob on the strainer down til it stops,...then hit snare harder.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks..Yeah that was the first thing I tried but it choked the snare big time..The snare and the rest of the drums sound great as I have them set up so I'm gonna go with it..It doesn't really bother me to be honest,it's just I wasn't sure I had the flobeam/strainer set right on the snare..

Posted on 8 years ago

You will usually find it's one of the toms (and the one closest in pitch to the snare) that sets it off.. Provided that the wires are set to the right tension, experiment with varying the head tension on either the snare or the offending tom.. In my experience it's usually been a 12,13 or 14 set up in close proximity to the snare..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 8 years ago

One other trick that has worked for me is to loosen off the 4 snare side lugs adjacent to the wires...

See the "post setup problems" paragraph half way down this page...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/articles/drum-tuning.htm

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 8 years ago

Cool thanks very much..Im now leaning more towards the tuning of the snare being the issue so will experiment with this..I think new heads top and bottom may be a good idea too..

Posted on 8 years ago

Typically, the snares buzz because there is something else in the room within that frequency. Sympathetic buzz is very common and often not curable, depending on the drum.

I also have a Premier 2000 and I love it! I have it tuned pretty high though, I find that is where the drum is comfortable. I tune the bottom head higher than the top. This often eliminates buzz. Often, your tight and mine are miles apart. I experimented with this years ago and found I wasn't tuning my drums "tight" or high enough. - I had bought a used drum that sounded awesome! Needed new heads though. Once home, I cleaned it up and put new heads on it, took me weeks to get it back to the sound I loved and bought it for!

Yes, the loosening of the lugs surrounding the snare beds may also help, however, going tighter on the bottom head may also.

Play around with it and see!

Good Luck! The 2000 is an awesome drum!Yes Sir

Drum Kits
1965 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Blue
1966 Ludwig Clubdate Oyster Black
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
1971 Ludwig BB Black Oyster
Early 60's Camco Oaklawns Champagne Sparkle
Posted on 8 years ago

Cheers ill do that..Im gonna put new heads on and go from there..The reso head is an everplay extra and possibly the original so could be nearly 46 years old!!

I also dont think i tune high enough,may be due to the fact that i had a snare(wooden)that came with a kit a few years back and ended up having to replace about 5 of the lugs due to the previous owner cranking it so hard it wrecked the lugs!!! Ouch..

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here