Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Premeir Dominion ACE snare drum

Hi

I hope someone can help me, I have bean playing on a Premier Dominion ACE snare drum for the past 20 years, which I like very much but have been wondering how old it could be. I bought it at a second hand shop in Newcastle England some 20 years ago. It is 14"x 71/2" with 2 snares, one on the btm and one under the top skin. It has no Premier badge but has Premier enscribed on the top rim and Dominion ACE on the btm Rim

Regards Phil

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi,

looks to me like a 1930's snare drum, ive seen another similar drum in the past.

bigz

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Bigz

Thanks it's probably quite old then, I wonder if there's still many arounds any idea as to it's value

chears

Phil

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi phil,

after a bit of research i can say your drum is a super dominion ace snare drum from around 1930. As to value premier stuff is difficult to value. Without offending i would say about ?120. The old strainer may be the biggest bugbear. Hope this helps. Im a collector in the UK. Bigz

Posted on 18 years ago

The drum is the later dominion ace with what premier called their new shining brackets[lugs].these were introduced in 1937 and were fitted till 1939 on the aces.After the war the same lugs were used for a time on the cheaper premiers and olympics.Pre 1937 Brass shelled Dominion Aces had a round centre bead and x box lugs.Later Aces sometimes had diamond shapes cast on the hoop bosses were the tension bolts go through.I have a wood shell pre 1937 ace in gold sparkle wrap with green and red sparkle diamonds between the lugs and two post 1937 CoB shelled Aces one with hoops like yours and one with the diamonds cast on the hoop bosses.Value is what somebody wants to pay,they dont come up for sale very often.Look after your Snare wires,their as rare as rocking horse droppings.hope this helps.

Dion

Posted on 18 years ago

Forgot to askare the levers solid.Or adjustable with a little thumb screw which is the earlier design.Dion

Posted on 18 years ago

Ah just tock a closer look and see you are using tie on snares.bad luck.Dion

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Guys

Thanks, its a bit older than me then and proberbly in better nick. Its got a nice deep sound and plays well so it'll keep it's centre place in the kit for a while longer.

Regards

Phil The Band

Posted on 18 years ago

Phil, afraid the other chap was closer to the mark with the lugs etc, its defo a later 1937-39 drum. Check out www.vintprem.moonfruit.com and go to the 1930's page! Bigz

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Guys

Thanks once again, its not all bad news at least the drum is 70 years old and looking in fair shape, I hope I look that good when I reach 70 plays well too. I knew it was quite old but not that old and as for value well I'm keeping it anyway so its not that important just nice to know so keep on rockin

Regards

Phil The Band

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here