Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Preferred way to remove wrap adhesive?

Doing a little snare drum project from a Rocker snare I picked up from

Goodwill.

Got the chrome wrap off and now for the glue.

Wondering what you guru restorers prefer for getting the old adhesive off?

Thanks in advance!

1 attachments
Found it!!
Posted on 9 years ago

I did one of these shells in the wood finish. But almost all the adhesive was already off of mine when I got it. The little bit that was there came off with paint thinner I think. Don't hold me to that though. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

Here's a little before and after.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I think I'm going to go for the clear coat look also on my shell, I'll know more when I get all the adhesive off. Is the outer ply birch on the Rocker shells? Hard to tell on mine right now...

Found it!!
Posted on 9 years ago

I think Ludwig mentioned "mixed hardwoods" or something along those lines. I have been told the outer is maple on these. Don't know that for sure though.

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I'm not a purist restaurator, so I don't know what purists may think of this, but here is how I do it.

Place shell vertically on a table. Fix slightly with a clamp so it won't roll. Take a cloth that has about the same with as the shell. Lay it on the shell so it covers a reasonable part of it. Drip thinner on it until its drenched. Wait for 10 minutes. Scrape off glue with knife. Next part, until you're done.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

I'm thinking I used acetone way way back when I stupidly removed wrap from my first drum set. Was so long I ago I forgot what I did but it must've been a solvent as I know I didn't sand on the shells. This current wrap was pretty dinged up and had to go though...

Found it!!
Posted on 9 years ago

I can only speak for 60's Ludwig adhesive but here's what worked for me.

put on rubber gloves and respirator!!!!!

soak a cloth in lacquer thinner and wet adhesive down well.

let this dry.

get a PLASTIC eraser(white, not pink rubber) and rub. The adhesive will become little balls and fall off.

hope this helps

Jim

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 9 years ago

I was using some Soy Gel stripper yesterday and the adhesive balled up but being soy based the stripper just wasn't getting it done in one swipe of just one section, too slow!

This is some late 70's early 80's adhesive and lots of it since it's somewhat newer.

Found it!!
Posted on 9 years ago

Well it looks like it's either thinner or acetone, in general. I mean, one or the other is going to work...?

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Acetone barely working, so it's back to Soy Gel stripper, leaving it on for longer this time.

Home Depot didn't have any quarts of Bix adhesive stripper, I know that would have worked.

I think my Soy Gel stuff will work, I was just to anxious yesterday and took it off too soon.

Found it!!
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here