Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Pre-age new drum wrap?

Howdy folks - I recently won a set of Kent drums on eBay, but (of course) there is no floor tom. I was thinking about purchasing another floor tom (while I scour the world for a real Kent) and re-wrapping it in the champagne sparkle color. New wrap will likely be way too vibrant and not match the old wrap, so I was wondering if there is a way to pre age new drum wrap so that it's closer in color/fade to the old wrap?

My first thought is of course to lay it out in the sun for a while.

Any other ideas and/or has someone done this?

Thanks in advance - Can't wait to get my hands on these babies!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Sun fade might work, but this time of year you will need until next summer to get enough sun in Boston to do much good I think... Unless you take it on a vacation to Mexico for a while! flowers2

Posted on 16 years ago

I may not need to do this after all... just won a nicely faded champagne sparkle Leedy/Slingy floor tom as well. I'll post pics when the set is put together.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Bringing this one back up....

Based on the prices of original Champagne Sparkle pieces on eBay, using new wrap may be the best solution for me.

Any way to get the new stuff to fade to match?

Current gigging set:
Recent Ludwig Accent 13/16/18/26, (in Silver Sparkle), "updated" 70's Acrolite with cast batter hoop and Trick strainer/butt

Cymbals:
Zildjian K Custom Ride, Dream (Bliss and Contact) crashes and hats, and a Sabian Swish/China.

Other stuff:
60's Ludwig Champagne Sparkle "Traveler's Club Date", under construction. Click Here
70's Acrolite (under RE-construction)
Two 1960's mahogany 32" Ludwig bass drums with Imperial lugs.
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Sienna"]Quite honestly, I don't think you can ever really do it. I mean, the fade on one vintage Champagne set compared to another will be a different hue, even if they are of the same era.

In a situation of sparkles and pearls, it's possible because you can get a custom color wrap. But I do not believe there is any way to get a custom-tinted Champagne wrap.

And I'm doubtful that using sunlight ro any other elemental exposure can give you a fade result which will necessarily 'match' the condition your old kit already has.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Just a thought. I'd get some samples of new champagne wrap and try spraying or brushing shellac over it. I tried this with bright wmp and it did yellow the sample swatch "close" to my faded wmp RK's. I know the champagne wrap is costly but it may be worth a try.

Posted on 13 years ago

Well, someone mentioned sending the drum to be wrapped as well as the drum to match it to over to the guys at Precision Drum Co.

I didn't research it a lot, but I assume that they either have a supply of NOS original wrap, or are treating new wrap in some way to get it to match.

Can you even buy new cellulose nitrate wrap? Isn't all of the new stuff PVC?

If it is cellulose nitrate, then a variety of techniques would probably work to speed up the aging process. The whole "relic" guitar craze proved that.

Current gigging set:
Recent Ludwig Accent 13/16/18/26, (in Silver Sparkle), "updated" 70's Acrolite with cast batter hoop and Trick strainer/butt

Cymbals:
Zildjian K Custom Ride, Dream (Bliss and Contact) crashes and hats, and a Sabian Swish/China.

Other stuff:
60's Ludwig Champagne Sparkle "Traveler's Club Date", under construction. Click Here
70's Acrolite (under RE-construction)
Two 1960's mahogany 32" Ludwig bass drums with Imperial lugs.
Posted on 13 years ago

Drummaker Colorwraps might be a possibility.

Link........

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here