Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Pre-1980's Pearls

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/5745563167.html

I came across this on my local craigslist. I looks like just a generic black wrap Pearl set that everyone has seen 100 times. The Swivo-type tom mounts I had only been aware of recently, when I saw that excellent recent thread authored by deansdrums59.

Were these professional model Pearls? How can you tell? By the tom mounts? Is this guy's asking price crazy? I realize there were several models of Pearls in those days (Presidents, Fiberglass etc.). My general thought has been that they haven't really commanded a huge resale value, unless they were in a super rare finish or configuration.

Thanks,

V

Posted on 8 years ago

Fiberglass, wood-fiberglass, or Presidents would have badge marking them as such. I don't know when they started badging the maple shells... I think it may have been in the mid 70s? Looks pretty standard with a standard finish. 1973-1979?

No snare, missing bottom FT rim.... missing a screw on a tom mount... junk kick pedal. I'd say he's off by $700-800. :2Cents:

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

Those are "Pre-Export" Exports. Luan shells, 8-lug bass etc. I have bought early 7/8" pipe mount Exports-complete with hardware and cymbals for $150. Not much different from Maxwin or Royce of the same era, just the mounts and spurs.

Posted on 8 years ago

Yeah, I think it's just better hardware on them than the Maxwins and Royces.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here