Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Powder Coating

Does anyone have an opinion about, or actual experience with, powder coating a SupraPhonic shell. There are many great colors and finishes available and the results are virtually permanent. I understand, however, that the process requires placing the item in a 350 - 450 degree "oven" for 30 minutes. I'm concerned about what effect this heating might have on the SupraPhonic shell since it is basically aluminum. It wouldn't melt, but could the heat change the strength and characteristics of the metal and the sound of the drum?

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

this very subject has been discussed at length on the DFO I don't know if it has here on the VDF, Mountainhick would be a good one to chime in here on this! from what I can remember about the subject, they said the PC changed the sound some, kinda comparing the present black galaxy coating to the older silver shelled models, the consensus was that it was a different sound. that was about it!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

The sound will change ... for obvious reasons. Other than that, cool idea. A bud of mine did one a couple of years ago ... in pink - icky. It plays great. A bit drier and less ring. Not bad.

Posted on 14 years ago

I did find one VDF member who had a Supra powder coating. I have sent him a PM on the subject. I'd still like to hear from anyone with opinions.

Thanks

Gary G.
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I have an 80's Acrolite and it has that weird gray painted "stuff" on it. I like the way it sounds.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

We did one years ago in a vein finish. The drum was badly pitted..

I'll look for a pic....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

From O-Lugs

Well, I have an 80's Acrolite and it has that weird gray painted "stuff" on it. I like the way it sounds.

This is the first of the factory powder coated Acrolites. For whatever reason, they decided to pc them at some point in the early 80s. That funky grey color is the clue to the era on the rounded B/O badges. Before that, they were anodyzed, and even before that they were bare aluminum alloy.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I did it…had my lightly pitted 1967 Supraphonic shell (1st photo) powder coated in gloss black. This was a Supra I had purchased to “customize” with tube lugs and single flanged hoops to make it look like a 1920s snare. When I recently acquired a real 1921 All Metal Separate Tension snare this customized Supra kind of became superfluous. I thought of selling it but after watching Supras on ebay for a while I decided that I would never get the money out of it that I had spent so,.......might as well spend more and enjoy it…and am I glad I did!

I was surprised how hard the powder coating material is. All the hardware mounting holes were partially or completely filled in by the powder coat. Re-drilling them was like drilling though metal…really hard stuff. It’s also fairly thick; the heads are noticeably more snug, but not too tight.

I haven’t done a side-by-side sound comparison with my stock 1963 Supra yet. It would be hard to say whether any difference is attributable to the powder coating or the tube lugs, single flanged hoops and Fiberskyn head, probably all of the above. I have it tuned up fairly tight and it sounds great. Can't wait to actually gig with it.

Anyway, it may not be a “Legendary” Black Beauty, but it’s very black and it’s definitely a beauty! And, I’m very happy I decided to go with the powder coating.

Gary G.
Posted on 14 years ago

A powder coating will muffle the shell's response some, making the sound a bit drier or less lively. Below are some photos of an abused orphan Acrolite shell I had coated to cover its multitude of scars...basically the same as a Supra shell, and the coating will work the same on both -- but keep in mind that any chrome plating on the Supra shell will have to be removed before powder coating.

Posted on 14 years ago

GG & snowdog your snares are beautiful. Not to divert from the topic but I have an early model acrolite I picked up for 20 bucks. Its missing some lugs and I have been thinking about changing to tube lugs.

Will the tube lugs fit the exact holes of the the acrolite?

Thanks TOM

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here