Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

possible ludwig lugs on these *** drums?

I got a matching red sparkle snare drum and a floor tom. The lugs on the snare are not original. The two drums have different lugs.

There are only 3 lugs on the snare, and they don't fit the mounting holes correctly. Are they WFL or Ludwig lugs? I recently got a drum lot and there's odd and ends of Ludwig and WFL stuff (Speed King hi hat, random WFL butt plate, WFL brass snare rims, ect ect)

These drums are Japanese i believe- the wood is sooooo cheap! Looks and feels like....wood wall paneling. I could push either drum and crush it with my hands. The snare is slightly warped and the floor tom is cracked beyond repair, i wanna take the hardware off trash the drum. Kills me to do that but it's useless. No badges on either drum.

Any help?

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I shoulda wrote "Japanese" drums in the title, i apologize.

Posted on 13 years ago

either wfl or ludwig, I'd have to see inside the lug casing to tell you which it is.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

thanks again vintagemore, i'll snap a pic, give me a few minutes....i'll go do it now....gimme a few minutes.....

Posted on 13 years ago

Please don't trash these drum shells. Yes, take the Ludwig lugs off and use them for another project or whatever, but the shells can be made into student drums or matching pieces to someone's set with just a little work and some initiative. I understand if you don't want to do the work, but instead of throwing them away, offer them here on the forum - someone will take them.

You said that the shells are very thin/flimsy and that you could crush them. Yes, you probably can. These are likely the earlier 3 ply MIJ stencils from the early-mid 60s and, while they are not as durable as the later 5, 6, or 9 ply drums, they can still be made to be great players.

Posted on 13 years ago

From cn679

Please don't trash these drum shells. Yes, take the Ludwig lugs off and use them for another project or whatever, but the shells can be made into student drums or matching pieces to someone's set with just a little work and some initiative. I understand if you don't want to do the work, but instead of throwing them away, offer them here on the forum - someone will take them.You said that the shells are very thin/flimsy and that you could crush them. Yes, you probably can. These are likely the earlier 3 ply MIJ stencils from the early-mid 60s and, while they are not as durable as the later 5, 6, or 9 ply drums, they can still be made to be great players.

I like to find the good in anything! I don't waste anything. I'm gonna try and sell the snare in a few days on here, see if anyone is interested. The floor tom is toast though- it's cracked the whole way down, unrepairable. Lotsa good hardware on it though. I won't trash anything that can be used, no worries there!

Posted on 13 years ago

This the pics you needed vintagemore? one with flash, one without....

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

From kadrocker

This the pics you needed vintagemore? one with flash, one without....

they are from the transition period so they could be either wfl or Ludwig.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

can you give me a rough estimate on year? Just curious when they changed over.

Posted on 13 years ago

From kadrocker

can you give me a rough estimate on year? Just curious when they changed over.

1959-1960 in that time frame

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here