Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Pls help identify 1930s bass drum

Hi everybody,

first post here, so hi :)

I was wondering if you could help me with any information about this bass drum that I just bought.

[IMG]http://www.tradingpost.com.au/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Sensis-TradingPost-Site/Sensis-TradingPost/en_AU/UserImages/IMPEX_IMAGES_NDS/nds_9546/W954637309064/Resized/Resized640x480_W954637309064.jpg[/IMG]

I know that its 1930s (and I would guess 1932-33?). Its a Ludwig and Ludwig Chicago U.S.A 28 inch bass drum, with original calf skin heads on both sides.

I was particularly interesting in its precise year, how rare it is, what its worth in your opinion, and any thing else?

matt

Posted on 16 years ago

I just recently bought a very similar marching bass drum, only difference being its 26", single-tension and WFL. It sounds very good and will be even better when I tame it with a thicker batter head. I will make it a point to keep the original skin with a cool stain on the front!

Posted on 16 years ago

Those old bass drums are very common, although to find a double tension one is much more desirable than the more commonly found single tension ones.

Bass drums don't have the collectibility of snares or sets...one with painted heads or rare finishes can bring some good $.

Yours would probably get between $150 and $300.

Posted on 16 years ago

I just would like to add that in most cases there is no way of finding a precise year with these old drums.

There are date stamps on some drums, specific points of hardware changes and other ways to get close, like the badge..

So you have to live with a date range and be happy with that. I know it is not the best answer, but something we all have to live with when collecting vintage drums.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

thanks guys.

What if any "spruce ups" would you do to this drum? Nothing, a dusting, or more?

Posted on 16 years ago

Personally Id give the wood some orange oil, to clean it up a bit, but Ill leave it to the experts for tips.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here