Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Plies separation!

Couple of months back I found some 22-12-13 California percussion drums.In one of my previous post,coudnt recognize it,it looks like Tama stencil from late 80-ies or beganing of90-es with pearl style holes on bass drum for toms atachment.Anyway I notice some heavy separation from the plies on bass drum,and decide too try to separate them totaly.And it was very easy indeed,like they were barely glued.Now I have 3 plies,each 1/8" from 16x22 bass drum.I never saw these before,and I want to share that with you.Middle ply is not sanded et all from boath sides,and only sanded are one side of the outer and one side of the iner ply.Now,my idea is to try to make 18" bass drum from those plies.Anybody have idea how to do it in home conditions?

________

Mz engine

5 attachments
Selling cymbals Made in Turkey

http://turkishcymbalserbia.weebly.com/
Posted on 13 years ago

As a carpenter,..I`ll say you`re in way over your head !!

If the shell was not drilled it would be easier.

The lugs are evenly spaced around the circumferance,..you will change that.

To curve a two inch piece and slip it in is not recommended.

The spurs may not end up where you want them.

You will need to have a custom set of hoops to line up with what you changed.

If by some chance you decide to do this and become successful, you will have an oddball drum and then I`m gonna want it back !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

I know that you would need a form for the 18" inch shell and either a vacuum seal or some guys use excercise ball for pressure to glue it all together. I agree, you may be in over your head on this one.

Posted on 13 years ago

WOW that for sure my friend seems like a lot of work but not totaly imposible good luck with your project

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

Wow, Dule! Since you really don't appear to have too much to lose concerning this project, you may as well give it your best shot. Ask around local hardware stores and lumber yard "experts" for their opinions on various glues. Weigh the opinions. You will also need some good clamps, and I'm talking ones that extend more than a couple of inches. Bearing edges? jonnistix is an expert in this field. Good luck, my friend.

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

Oh Boy!! This certainly looks like a challange for sure! I have a few ideas. You cold get 2 peices of wood and drill them just like to shell holes and sandwich the plies between the 2 pieces, with glue between each ply, and bolt the plies between the 2 pieces of wood using the holes of the shell, then youd have to curve them and glue the ends together somehow. That would be a good trick! Or, you find a cyndrical object the perfect size to wrap the plies around, paint em with wood glue and get some band clamps and clamp the plies to the cyndrical object, or use it for kindlin' and get warm!!! LoLoLoLo

1 attachments
1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

Ahhh, you wanna make it 16x18,..

Use the outer shell and the filler shell together and close it together so you can mark the outer and inner length. Push the lug bolts through to line up the holes. Cut them. Do the same thing and clamp ( straps) them so the spring action from the inner forces them together. Kinda like rolling up a documet to make it tighter. The last one can spring out inside to mark and cut, again useing the lugbolts to line up the holes. But will this line up the hoop ?? (or use a slide over hoop) And where will the spurs land ?? And the top mount ?? If it all works dry fitting, then glue it.

If you pull it off,...you gotta show a pic. !! Do you want it that bad ?? Think it through first.

Posted on 13 years ago

Do you know why the glue completely failed in the first place ??

Posted on 13 years ago

Maybe you can roll the filler one inside the outer one without line`n up the holes so you have a surface to lay the ends down on when glue`n. then fill the inner holes, drill the outer ones` through, then line up the last one useing the bolts pushed through. Always cut longer if you`re not sure.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello and thank you all for your sugesstions.I will try to answer all,hope don't miss something.This 22" shell didin cost me a thing,so if nothing come from it,no regrets at all.My toughts were to find some cilindrical shape with 18" iner diametar or something with outer diametar off 18" minus 2 times 3/8",which is two thickness of all 3 plies,and it will be the inner diametar of 18" bass.Distance between holes from lugs is now22x3,14/10=6,9",and I would like to make 18" with 8 lugs and that distance is 18x3,14/8=7.06".I cant use old holes,only holes for tom mount,and I would have to close those latter and make new ones.I will drill that cilindar in same places where are those holes on the plies,and then when I measure and cut all 3 plies glued tham and put one after onther use this holes to put screws thrue all with wood suport bloks from both sides,I will have total of 32 8mm screws to tight this up,or I could make another cilinder for out side,(not welded),just to use it as a press.The edges are bad so i would cut it to 18x15 or something like that and recut them on table router.than fill the old holes with wood wedges,then wood filer,and lot of sending after that,new holes for lugs and legs.I did not see any traces of glue when I separate plies.It looks that wass litlle glue or almost nothing,or the glue was very bad,because I easily separate plies one from another.

________

Indica Strains

Selling cymbals Made in Turkey

http://turkishcymbalserbia.weebly.com/
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here