Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

please identify this set

This is my first post...

this looks like a great site and I sure you all can help me! I got an old set and am getting it into useable condition. There are no identification badges, tags, or numbers. I am intersted in finding out what brand it is ,when it was made, value, and any other info anyone might have. What caught my interest is the unusual tom mount. I looked online and couldn't find anything like it until today. it looks like a post here has an old gretsch set with that mounting config. is my set a gretsch? The cymbal arm mount is interesting too. there is a ball joint with the rod going through, and a tensioning screw to clamp it down. I have pics available through this link- any information would really be appreciated!!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/j275/DigitalDaguerreotypes/

tom-13x9

bass-20x14 with wood hoops

(floor tom and snare are from a different set)

Thanks!

Posted on 18 years ago

hello,

i reckon the bass drum and mounted tom might be a 'drum-mate' kit, the early 60's precursor to Tama, if you check out my thread entitled "lets play... guess the drum!" my bass is very similar, it might be a different era or model, the lugs look very similar and my bass used to have a cymbal mount, i've also seen drum-mate kits before with that exact tom mount config... (ignore the tom mounts on my photos, they were adapted a long time ago!) as for value i'm not sure, others on this forum have a better idea of values.

personally i'd hold onto this kit and do it up a bit, mine sounds brilliant with a bit of tlc, new heads and a polish!

hope this helps!

good luck with your search

kris

Posted on 18 years ago

The lugs and maple looking shell look like Kent from the late '50s or early '60s. They had foil badges that always came off. You do a search for info on the old Kent company. They were an entry level American brand that became an import brand in the '60s. The tom mount is the most common one ever made...known as a "rail consolette. Most were made by Walberg and Auge for every drum company from the '40s through the '70s. It was later copied by the Japanese importers. If those drums ARE Kents, they're worth a bit more than most import or student level drums, due to their nice maple shells. Maybe $100-200.

Posted on 18 years ago

I own a few Kent snares myself. The lugs on the tom and bass look like Kent hardware. Other companies put their name on Kent made drums (Paramount, Revere, maybe more) and I've seen one picture with the rail type tom mount on a Paramount kit.

Check out the link below and compare the hardware.

http://www.coopersvintagedrums.com/misc/kenthistory.htm

Good luck in your search and if you come across any other Kent info, please post it here. I'm interested in finding a complete, original "good condition" Kent set. And I'm always interested in more info on drums.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

Thats definatly Kent.The bass drum is the same type as the one I own. But my cymbla mount is different. This is going to sound strange but the bass dru or tom may even have a date stamped inside. If it wasn't washed off. Mine has a stamp date of 1969 ( I forget the day and month ) And Big Daddy...since you love Kent as well. Any place you know of where I can find a floor tom? My kit came with a 20" bass,12" tom,and 14" snare. Actually my bass drum has metal rims as opposed to hoops. And the batter side rim has a clip on the top and bottom for mounting a pedal and I assume a stick holder as well.And not that color matters but mine is Blue Oyster Pearl.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Thats definatly Kent.The bass drum is the same type as the one I own. But my cymbla mount is different. This is going to sound strange but the bass dru or tom may even have a date stamped inside. If it wasn't washed off. Mine has a stamp date of 1969 ( I forget the day and month ) And Big Daddy...since you love Kent as well. Any place you know of where I can find a floor tom? My kit came with a 20" bass,12" tom,and 14" snare. Actually my bass drum has metal rims as opposed to hoops. And the batter side rim has a clip on the top and bottom for mounting a pedal and I assume a stick holder as well.And not that color matters but mine is Blue Oyster Pearl.

I own 3 Kent snares. One steel shell and 2 maple shells. None of these had date stamps inside, but the 2 maple shells had their size written in pencil. 2 of the snares have their badge intact, both are the blue flower badge. The more modern snare of the bunch (6 bolt on lugs, dual tension) had no bearing edges, just rough cut. I re-cut the edges in a vintage Ludwig style and this drum sounds fantastic. I play mostly blues and funk and this drum just has that old school sound.

ARCHxANGEL - I've seen the occasional odd tom/floor tom on eBay. I'll keep my eyes open for you though and post here if I come across one. And if you come across a decent 4 piece kit which you're not interested in purchasing, I'd love to hear about it. If the price is right, I'm interested.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here