Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Please help to identify this Slingerland snare drum

This past week, when I acquired the Slingerland Lavender Satin Flame set, this nice snare drum came with the deal. In more than sixty five years of drum ownership, I have never owned a snare drum deeper than 5.5". This new (to me) snare drum sounds as crisp as I like my shallower snare drums to sound. I don't know what the original finish to the outer ply was. Here's the rundown on the drum. It measures 6.5 x 14. The inner ply is mahogany. The stamp of the letter M on the inner ply should mean that the outer ply is maple, and should have been painted, stained, or left natural. It has been painted in a shiny black lacquer. The muffler has two small black dampening pads, The eight-lug hoops are stick-savers. There is no serial number on the badge that was used only from 1959-1961. The date stamp on the inner ply is blurry and reads December 14, 19??. The rapid strainer and butt plate look to be original to the drum. Could this be a Student Model? Your help is appreciated.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

Here's the muffler.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

I had a Slingerland snare from that era and it was single ply. Are you sure yours isn’t? It really cracked and was higher pitched than most other drums I had owned, and it was 6.5” deep.

Posted on 2 years ago

When I get time to do it, I'll take off the heads to check out the plies.

Posted on 2 years ago

The "M" stamp and mahogany interior identify the shell as a 3-ply.

Posted on 2 years ago

From slingerfan

The "M" stamp and mahogany interior identify the shell as a 3-ply.

This is what I found when I looked inside the snare drum this morning. Three store stamps and a sticker inside the drum say that it came from a music store in Cleveland, Ohio. Whether that store sold it as new or used, I'll never know. The blurry date stamp reads December 14, 19??. But that particular badge was used only briefly from 1959 through 1961. This is a great drum.

Posted on 2 years ago

A few items of interest on this drum: The uncommon placement of the badge to the right of the strainer occurred from the summer of '60 to the spring of '61 (per Dr. Wenk) with the tone control being 180 degrees across from the badge. The tone control on this drum, one panel to the left of the strainer, is unexpected. The last year for the two pad muffler was '61. The Rapid strainer appears to be mostly correct for '61 with the exception of the wide 10 hole slider. A narrow double row 12 hole slider would be expected for kit and concert drums with the wide 10 hole primarily for marchers. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/article_5_strainers_rapid-3.html

Likely a Dec. '60 drum but the model is hard to pinpoint. Any additional holes or signs of grommet tampering?

Posted on 2 years ago

No signs of tampering other than the repainted shell.

Posted on 2 years ago

I removed all metal parts from the snare drum. i discovered that: (1). The shell measures exactly 7" deep by 14" diameter; (2). The badge's grommet had the inner flange removed, and the badge with partial grommet was glued to the shell; (3). the snare butt is missing the top bar to clamp the snare string between the two metal pieces. All of these things are easy to deal with. The current version of Rowlux Illusion Film is not a perfect match. But for me, the snare drum on a stand behind the bass drum and mounted toms is close enough for Rock n Roll or any other kind of music. I will get a new grommet if I can't find one in my parts stash. Worst case for the snare butt is that I could tie the snare strings through two holes in the existing partial butt plate just as it was when I got the drum. Or, I could get a replacement for the missing bar or a whole new butt plate.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

From leedybdp

I removed all metal parts from the snare drum. i discovered that: (1). The shell measures exactly 7" deep by 14" diameter; (2). The badge's grommet had the inner flange removed, and the badge with partial grommet was glued to the shell; (3). the snare butt is missing the top bar to clamp the snare string between the two metal pieces. All of these things are easy to deal with. The current version of Rowlux Illusion Film is not a perfect match. But for me, the snare drum on a stand behind the bass drum and mounted toms is close enough for Rock n Roll or any other kind of music. I will get a new grommet if I can't find one in my parts stash. Worst case for the snare butt is that I could tie the snare strings through two holes in the existing partial butt plate just as it was when I got the drum. Or, I could get a replacement for the missing bar or a whole new butt plate.

The match works. Is that a scratch in the badge or the S looping back ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here