Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Please Help my get my Ludwig sounding good!

Hi everyone...Im a newbie to this forum. Passionate drummer but complete amateur when it comes to all things vintage.

I recently bought a Red Sparkle Ludwig on ebay, pretty cheap for UK prices (£700). I was aware it wasnt a collectors item as the Kick drum came from a separate kit (separate decade even) but still went for it. The Toms (13/16) are keystone badge with the white wood inside....They sound amazing! better then I could have hoped for. I believe the white wood means its is a late 60's Ringo era kit...is that right?

The kick on the other hand (22) is a Blue and Olive Badge (serial 810043) from the 70's. It has the inner wooden hoop on the inside of the drum (whats that called again?)

Anyway it really doesnt have that huge boomy sound I had heard on other Ludwigs...admitedly they were keystone badge kicks though...

Firstly does anyone have a kick from this era and do they love it/hate it? Are they able to get that trade mark low rumble/thump that vintage ludwigs are famous for...

As you can see in the pictures attatched below, the kit has had a few repairs/updates...do you think they could potentially be ruining the sound?

Cant help thinking I should have held out for a full keystone badge kit :( But if there's some tuning/skin choice/ even restoration that can happen to help the sound...I would be more then up for it.

Oh and here's a link of me playing the kit...Ive added a fair bit of processing to make up for the lack of sub in the low end...

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JI77uopP0UM"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JI77uopP0UM[/ame]

Thanks in advance for your help...as you can probably tell Im massively uniformed..but this place is teaching me alot!

The 22" Kick

[IMG]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1135/img0647ve5.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3637/img0646re4.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8208/img0645nj2.th.jpg[/IMG]

And the 13" Tom...

[IMG]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/24/img0644yz4.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6039/img0643cu6.th.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey again...Ive just been taking the drum apart and noticed a few other things. When I place heads on the drum without attaching the hoop it seems to sit slightly wonky...This doesnt look good as it may mean the drum is warped or egg shaped. Does this mean it is beyond repair?

Also the screws that go in the lugs seem to be much too long, meaning by the time I have screwed them in, I only have a few turns before they are fully in leaving me barely any room for tuning. Should I buy some shorter screws?

so many questions! haha

Posted on 15 years ago

Aquarian Superkick II on the batter side and the Regulator on the reso side.

Posted on 15 years ago

Get shorter lugs for the bass drum, all the same length. I am not a big fan of Aquarians, I think that they have their purpose for certain avenues. If you want a boom on the bass drum with some tone, I prefer using a Remo Coated Emporer on the batter side and a Coated Ambassador on the Resonant side. I do it old school with the felt strips, one on batter side, and two on Reso side. Works for me with serious thump.....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]When you say "wonky" what do you mean ? Most old shells have some slight out-of-roundness to them. As long as the heads go on OK without you having to fight them on by pushing down hard....the out-of-roundness is not an issue.

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Do an experiment, though. Take the heads off and sit the drums on a flat surface, so the edges are touching the surface.

Do all edges touch the surface ? Or have maybe very very tiny gaps between the surface and the shell edge ?....or can you "rock" the shell a little back and forth ? [/COLOR]

If the latter, then your edges are no longer level and they should be made level. Because this means that the head is not making equal contact w/ the shell all around, and you therefore are having to tighten one or more lugs further than the rest. Both can cause the sound of the batter head to choke.

If this is the case, find a drum shop or, barring that...a cabinetmaker.... near you who can level the edges.

Next, as mentioned, yes...get proper t-rods which allow more play in tightening.

I like Aquarians and I like SKII's although Aq's have the tightest and least flexible metal rings of ANY drumhead; so sometimes they are a very tght fit on vintage drums...especially if the shell is slightly tweaked. Remos fit a tad looser...so do Evans. Remo Emperors are a good choice, or Remo Powerstroke 3's either coated or not.

Also, on the bass....play around with wood vs. felt vs. plastic beaters and a falam patch or felt patch on the drumface....all can alter the "attack" of the sound.

My suggestion is to match the tuning of the bass batter and the reso head. If it is too boingy-sounding, try a Aq. Superkick head, or perhaps do a round port in the reso head to diminish its influence on the sound a bit. Maybe like an 8" diameter hole cut into it (I use a sharp utility knife and a dish/plate).

The shells, whether b/o badge or painted keystone badge...are all basically the same. Reinforcing rings with relatively broad bearing edges (are what those things are called) on 3-ply thin shells.

Sorry for the novel.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

samnadel,

That bass drum and the rest of your drums are all the same 3-ply shells so the fact they are from different eras won't make a difference.

There are VERY many different types of drumheads available these days. But, back in the vintage days, there were a limited number of styles of drumheads. So, my general rule for getting the vintage sound is to get as close to the old style drumheads as possible.

For my purposes, I prefer any vintage Ludwig bass drum, 20" in diameter and above, to have a coated Emperor batter head coupled with a coated Ambassador on the front. I either put a felt strip on the batter or the resonant side (sometimes, even both sides get a strip), off-center and running vertically.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I've never heard a bass drum sound real good with an pinstripe on it. (Is that a pinstripe?)

Try a Remo smooth white PS3 and it should sound great.

I'm going to do that Stanton Moore thing now. Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies. It seems like Head choice is going to effect the sound of this drum alot. Ive never heard a bad word about the Powerstroke 3 (which is what i currently have on the batter side) but Ill certainly try the Ambassador/Emperor options youre all suggesting.

Also it seems that slight warping of vintage shells isnt that uncommon so hopefully can be lived with....

Thanks again..Ill let you know how I get on

sam

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here