Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Please Help Me Identify Ludwig Set

My wife picked this set up at a yard sale several years ago and I have always wanted to know more about it. The serials are from 1969. The strange part is that the bass is a 14X18. Was this some sort of jazz set? I would love to know any information you folks have. Thanks!

Brett

[Attachment: 2120]

[Attachment: 2121]

[Attachment: 2122]

3 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Nice yard sale find!

It appears that you have a "Jazzette" kit. But....check the bass drum shell depth again to see if it isn't a 12 X 18. If it's a 12 X 18 and not a 14 X 18, then you have a very valuable bass drum and kit.

The "other" tom is a B/O badged drum which was likely added on at a later time.

Just the bass drum, small tom ( 8 X 12) and the floor tom (14 X 14) would make the Jazzette configuration. That's where the value is. For this set, the added 13" tom is pretty worthless. Also, someone added an extra arm to the railmount consolette. That needs to be taken apart and put back to normal.

So...if the three drums are in good shape, you have an extremely valuable kit -one of the rarest Ludwig configurations!

The next time you and your wife go yard-sale-ing...take me with you! :)Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

P.S. The snare drum is a Supraphonic 400. Yours appears to have very little flaking. It MIGHT be a brass version. Either way, it's one of the best-sounding snare drums ever built (in my opinion).

P.S.S. When you measure the depth of the bass drum, just measure the shell depth and not the depth including the hoops. My guess is that it's a 12 X 18......LUCKY!!!Mind Blowi

Posted on 17 years ago

If you don't mind me asking, what feature of the set makes it a Jazzette? Is it the size? (I will check the bass size when I get home...)

BTW: The wife and I are going yard-saleling this weekend if you want in!FYI

Posted on 17 years ago

The "featureS" that make it a Jazzette are the sizes of the three drums. A "Jazzette" is a 12/14/18 configuration. If it was a 12/14/20, then it would be known as a "Downbeat". If it was a 12/14/20 with center lugs, then it would be called a "Clubdate"....

"Jazzette" were probably the rarest of all factory configurations -especially with the "baby" bass drum.

What time do we leave to go sale-ing???:)

Posted on 17 years ago

Alright... I went home and measured and the bass is 12X18. Yes Sir Talk about luck, huh?

Thanks again for the great info! I couldn't find anything else anywhere.

flowers2

Posted on 17 years ago

That bass drum is one of the single-most collectible Ludwig bass drums! To have one in a sparkle finish with a keystone badge is bonus! Welcome to "The Brotherhood"!! You are one of three people I know who own a Jazzette kit. The other two are members of this forum! (and I am one of them!) In fact, my kit may be the "older brother" of yours. Mine is a '67 in red sparkle!

The next thing you want to do is to find out the dates stamped inside the drums and also the badge number sequence of the 12/14/18 drums. If they are close in sequence and stamped with the same date, then it indicates a factory set (not one put together from separately collected drums).

Also, get rid of the rogue 13" drum and that extra railmount consolette arm. Those pieces do not belong with the kit.

Trust me on this: You have a TRUE gem of a collector's kit! Congratulations! I would LOVE to see some more pictures of the kit -detailed, if possible!

Posted on 17 years ago

Badges are as follows:

* 673426 - Left Tom

* 673541 - Bass Drum

* 674862 - Floor Tom

* 672342 - Snare

* 784869 - Right Tom

Left Tom and Kick are stamped Jan 20 1969. I'll have to remove a head on the floor tom to see the stamp.

With this deal I also acquired the following:

* Speed King Bass Pedal

* Spur-Lok Hi-Hat stand

I have many more pictures, I just need to shrink them to fit up here.

Posted on 17 years ago

With that badge sequence, it's for sure a factory-matched kit! Even the Supra is original to the kit! It's likely that the heads are original WeatherMaster heads, too. (right?) If so, then don't throw those away for new ones! Even drumheads that old can be cleaned up and used to at least display the complete-ness of a kit like that.

WOW!

The SpeedKing and SpurLok are likely original pieces, too. The only "oddball" is the 13" tom and the extra rail arm -as far as I can see from those pictures.

You are really, REALLY, REEEEAAAALLLY lucky to have such a insightful and thoughtful wife!!

What a kit!!! Man-Oh-MAN!!!

Please post LOTS of pictures when you get a chance! The Jazzette is my favorite drum kit of all times!!

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi. Just would like to know what the 'yard sale price' was for this kit, if you don't mind me asking. You are very lucky!!!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here