Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Please Help me I.D. these Old Wood Blocks

I got these wood blocks with a Leedy Tom Tom and a Duplex snare. I figure the drums are from the 20's to 40's. So I'm assuming these wood blocks are from the same time frame. You can see the word 'CHINA' stamped on the end of each block. The blocks aren't identical. One is very slightly larger than the other and one has two holes at each end (for mounting I would assume) and the other has only one set of holes. There are no other markings and no sure sign of a sticker being removed. To me they look just like the Leedy wood blocks in the old 30's catalogue, but the CHINA thing throws me off because the Leedy factory was in Indiana and the Duplex factory was in St. Louis. Can anyone shed some light on who made these wood blocks, if maybe Leedy or Ludwig imported them, and from what era they are? Also, I was thinking about cleaning these up a little with Lizard Spit Fred Board Conditioner. Probably a dumb idea—but before I did—I thought I'd see what you guys think.

Thanks.

Al Pauly

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I do know that the temple blocks were imported to the USA and Leedy would tune and paint them. It was mentioned in the catalog of that era.

Ludwig 1923 catalog

look for this image

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/other_stuff/bill_ludwigiii/ludwig_1923_10_th.jpg[/IMG]

All of the early drum manufacturers were importing items and selling them in their catalogs.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

David,

Thanks alot for your input. That catalogue picture shure looks like the blocks that I have. Very helpful.

Thanks again,

Al

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here