Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Please help me ID my new Yamaha Drum Set

Hey Folks,

Can I get some help please identifying this awesome new-to-me drum set that my wife just gave me.

I believe it is late 60's/early 70's Yamaha kit. Maybe a D-20. Though the sizes are 20" bass, 14" metal snare, 13" rack tom, 16" floor tom.

Full photo album here: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/album.php?albumid=120

I took off the original heads (which all state YAMAHA NIPPON GAKKI upon them) and put on some pinstripes, and gigged with them Friday. They sounded marvelous. And I was so pleasantly surprised how the cymbal and tom mount on the bass drum are still very stout and sturdy. This kit was barely played. . . . until now.

Lovin' it. Thanks for any assistance in advance!

Well I'll be an unkey's muncle
Posted on 8 years ago

After a little digging, I wonder if I what I got is a 1969 C-220 model drum set. Though with a metal snare and not a wood snare. Though my bass is 8 lugs, not 6, hmmmmm.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/yamaha/1969_yamaha_catalog_4.jpg

Posted on 8 years ago

Hy Rick

Welcome to VDF:-)

I can not help you with your kit, but all i can say-That set is a killer! Absolutley cool looking Vintageset! Enjoy it!

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago

No info here either but yeah what a nice little kit! Congrats!

Mithc

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice kit! It's a higher end D series kit. D20 is 20/12/14 and the D22 is 22/13/16 so it's a cross between the two. The wrap is called blue willow and late 60s/early 70s is about right, although I'm leaning towards the early 70s with that tom mount (the earlier ones were a simpler, more traditional rail attachment I think). Really nice quality drums. There is loads of info on these kits on this forum if you have a search around.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago

Blue willow "Y" badge kit. Questlove used to play these before Ludwig hit him up for an endorsement.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

I know very little about Yammies, but that's one sexy little number... How's it play?

Posted on 8 years ago

I would replace those Pinstripes with some vintage A's or vintage Emperors.

Or if you're keen on clear heads, i would use Control Sound Black dot heads..

The Pinstripes will definitely deaden the sweet tone of those beautiful drums..

Congrats on acquiring such a unique and rare kit..

Posted on 8 years ago

From R.Adam McHugh

I know very little about Yammies, but that's one sexy little number... How's it play?

Like a dream Mind Blowi Fabulous, top notch.

Posted on 8 years ago

From Rick.Godley

Like a dream Mind Blowi Fabulous, top notch.

Excellent. It looks like it should sound beautiful. Well done!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here