Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Please help me date this WFL marching snare!

Greetings fellow drummers,

While doing a session the other day, the keyboardist and I were talking about drums. He told me he had an old snare drum he wanted to sell for $100, so I took a look. It's a WFL snare with the badge that says "WFL DRUM CO - 1728 N DAMEN AVE - CHICAGO, USA". The badge appears to be brass. There is no serial number. I can only narrow it down to being pre-60's. It appears the top head never had a dampener/muffler.

The release is a WFL Classic. It has a foldable leg rest, as it is a marching snare. I can't be sure if the leg rest is original, as the hardware holding it in has aged to a different color from the hardware holding in the lugs. It is 10" x 14". 8 lugs on the top, and 8 on the bottom. The finish is a very yellowed white marine pearl. Wood shell and hoops on the inside, and triple-flanged rims outside. A couple of the lug screws have been replaced on the inside. There is a "14" written in chalk on the inside of the drum, and I have no idea when that would have been done. There are no other markings inside the drum.

I bought it because I liked it, most of all. I do wonder, though, if this drum has become some kind of hybrid over the years due to add-ons, or if this drum began its life as a marching snare.

Is there anyone out there who can narrow down the date on this snare, and possibly some kind of valuation?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Looks original to me. 10x14 would have been a typical marching drum size, even back then.

here's info to help you narrow the date:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_badges.html

That's a cool old marching drum. I love those. I mean, if you don't see extra holes, then it's probably an original factory drum....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Looks as factory to me as they come...even the ol' legbrace.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the responses!

There are no extra holes in the shell...so it is looking like this IS a factory marching snare - based on your responses.

I did research the forum before posting, and saw that my badge should indicate it was made between '48-'52. I guess that would be its age, then. I was nervous that someone would tell me differently, and I'd find out it was younger than I thought.

I'm keeping this baby, but does anybody know how much this drum is worth?

Oh, oh! And...I've read that a little soap and water is all you want to put on the drum for cleaning, you don't want to scrub, and that basically the drum will stay yellow. This is actually good for the valuation of the drum as it shows its age correctly. Am I missing anything?

Thanks, everybody!

Posted on 15 years ago

This is usually where my wife thanks me for not taking the name of this post to the wrong side of the tracks. "Please help me date this WFL marching snare!" just begs for some love advice. I'll abstain and leave that to the less mature......only 'cause the wife is looking over my shoulder.

Posted on 15 years ago

lol, mcjnic...

I found this description of a drum in a collection at the National Music Museum.

from http://www.usd.edu/smm/Snaredrums.html :

NMM 3035. Parade drum by WFL Drum Co., Chicago, ca. 1956. Keystone, brass badge: WFL / DRUM Co. / 1728 N. DAMEN AVE. / CHICAGO U.S.A. J. Burns Moore model No. 3092. Mahogany shell, natural finish, 10" x 14". Separate (double) tension. Eight Classic model lugs. Triple-flanged metal rims (hoops). P-83 model strainer.

I think this description is pretty close. But I read elsewhere on the forum where Josh said they made the Classic strainer from 1955-1969. Did those two strainers coincide? http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=5947

But then based on the badges page on this forum, my badge is dated 1948-1952. It looks just like the brass one pictured there, 'cept not as shiny.

So I feel like I'm getting close to "dating" this snare, but don't know how to reconcile the different information I'm finding.

(This forum is awesome, btw.)

Posted on 15 years ago

Probobly made between 1950 and 1955. WFL started date stamping drums around 1956 and used a red ink then. I am assuming you have no date stamp? The next WFL badge reads WFL DRUMS at the top instead of the badge you have that reads WFL DRUM CO. The WFL DRUMS badge was introduced around 1957. Hard to get an exact year on yours but looks like a nice little marcher.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here