Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Please help identify my Pearl kit!

I've had this Pearl kit for years and am now second guessing what it is. All maple shells. Brass free floating snare. Color is Pacific Blue #118. It is early 90s and from the badge I THOUGHT it was 1992 MLX. However, I can't find any "official" info whatsoever on the internet to confirm. I had thought maybe a Session even, but wasn't sure of the Session series came in all maple. Can anyone help confirm?? Thanks!

(edit: these are a few year old pictures I had. I'm at work so couldn't take recent ones. Setup is a bit different now and they aren't so dirty :) )

Posted on 8 years ago

Hi likethegun...and Welcome to the forum!

You've got a beautiful Pearl kit! Looking through my Pearl catalogs, your kit does appear to be an MLX. The same drums and hardware show in my 1990 catalog. I believe your finish is #113 Sheer Blue. Pacific Blue is a solid blue, with no wood grain showing. That, plus it wasn't available during the time period when you purchased the kit. Finally, can you list the sizes of your drums? Thanks!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Looks like MLX's in sheer blue. I'm pretty sure the prestiges had silver badges with black writing. Some where in the late 80's on the MLXs the badges said the same thing but were different colors of red and some had gaskets and some did not. Never really been able to nail down exactly when that change occurred. You "might" have luck contacting Al Percival on the Pearl Corp. forum and asking him.

[ame]http://www.drumarchive.com/Pearl/PearlFlyer2.pdf[/ame]

Looking for a late 80's to early 90's, preferably Arctic White Pearl MLX 14x14 floor tom.
Posted on 8 years ago

idrum4fun thanks for the welcome! And Atlantaskins that is fantastic! Thanks for posting that catalog.

Was finally able to get a hold of a knowledgeable Pearl rep directly and they did confirm it is an MLX in Sheer Blue #113. All these years I thought it was Pacific Blue because that was written somewhere on an old box and nothing else really matched up with the history.

I am ecstatic now as this has been one of my favorite sounding drum kits i've played in the last 15 years. Now I know exactly what to keep an eye out for :)

Need to get some Evans g1's back on it though. I tried the Evans hydraulic blue (weird oil filled) when they came out because the color looks amazing with the kit, but they sound absolutely terrible in a live setting. Fantastic for recording though.

Thanks again guys! Surprisingly in all the amazing history and article on a couple different websites, apparently early '90s Pearl information is lacking on the interwebs!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here