Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Please help identify 12" Snare!

Hello there!

Was so in full activity with my Bollero the last time that I almost forgot about this little baby here.

I got this over 20 years ago, it came together with the stand and those funny sticks.

It was a bargain (about 80,- D-Marks or something at that time) so I decided to take the opportunity.

Put new heads on, tried it - and stored it for a long, long time down in the basement.

Now that I´m registered to this forum I remembered it and also the fact that I just can´t name or date it.

Can anyone out there tell something about this little beauty?

The 12" shell is 3-ply with re-rings at the edges, the inner side is very rough, they didn´t grind it.

Hardware seems to be made of brass.

The wrap has a funky red sparkle and the snare wires look like springs.

There´s no badge or something telling the name of the manufacturer.

The only thing that might be helpful to identify is a little engraved horse on the strainer.

I hope the pictures can help you to help me!

Looking forward to your posts, thanks a lot!

Greetings Jürgen

5 attachments
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 14 years ago

From Lissy

Hello there!Was so in full activity with my Bollero the last time that I almost forgot about this little baby here.I got this over 20 years ago, it came together with the stand and those funny sticks.It was a bargain (about 80,- D-Marks or something at that time) so I decided to take the opportunity.Put new heads on, tried it - and stored it for a long, long time down in the basement.Now that I´m registered to this forum I remembered it and also the fact that I just can´t name or date it. Can anyone out there tell something about this little beauty?The 12" shell is 3-ply with re-rings at the edges, the inner side is very rough, they didn´t grind it.Hardware seems to be made of brass.The wrap has a funky red sparkle and the snare wires look like springs.There´s no badge or something telling the name of the manufacturer.The only thing that might be helpful to identify is a little engraved horse on the strainer.I hope the pictures can help you to help me!Looking forward to your posts, thanks a lot!Greetings Jürgen

Hi,Jurgen..Your snare could be a few name's..But to me it look's like a "ROXY" made in germany sometime from 1930's-40's.. Why the shell look's to be 3 ply with ring's made of beechwwod also the wood patch at the snare inside drum is also a give away.If you could post a better photo of the strainer the handle will tell me for sure..As is look's the stranier is "ROXY"...If your drum is not a "ROXY" then it could a few other name's of drum's made in germany..Roxy drum's were copy's of Sonor shell's but not made by sonor...The finish for your drum is not red sparkle--it's red diamond pearl...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Hello Mikey!

Thank you very much for your very interesting details!

Yes...red diamond pearl - this is the description I was looking for! As you can see, I´m still learning and trying to improve my English vocabulary...

On the wood patch on the inside the letters "O", "1" and something that looks like a "W" are written in old German among each other with a pencil. Just don´t know if this is of particular importance.

Below I added two more pics showing the straining mechanism, as you required for the possibility of giving more detailed information.

Do you have more information about the ROXY company? Never heard of it.

Once again, thanks a lot for your informative post!Cool1

Greetings, Jürgen

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Jurgen,Yes your snare is a "ROXY" made drum the strainer gave it away..The strainer on your drum was used by Roxy from late 1949 to 1960's.with the finish pearl on your drum i would date it sometime in the 50's to mid 60's..Your drum was a student model with 6 lug's. and with the lower end made strainer roxy made two type's of these strainer's like your's a lite weight one and a heavy weight one..Roxy stop makeing drum in 1969 or to the middle of 1970...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hi Jurgen,Yes your snare is a "ROXY" made drum the strainer gave it away..The strainer on your drum was used by Roxy from late 1949 to 1960's.with the finish pearl on your drum i would date it sometime in the 50's to mid 60's..Your drum was a student model with 6 lug's. and with the lower end made strainer roxy made two type's of these strainer's like your's a lite weight one and a heavy weight one..Roxy stop makeing drum in 1969 or to the middle of 1970...Mikey

Hi Mikey,

thank you very much for bringin´ so much light in the dark mistery - as it was for me - of this little drum!

Do you have one or is there anyone in this forum who also owns a drum made by Roxy? I would be interested in an exchange of experiences with the drums.

Thanks, Mikey!

Regards, Jürgen

Posted on 14 years ago

From Lissy

Hi Mikey,thank you very much for bringin´ so much light in the dark mistery - as it was for me - of this little drum!Do you have one or is there anyone in this forum who also owns a drum made by Roxy? I would be interested in an exchange of experiences with the drums.Thanks, Mikey!Regards, Jürgen

Hi Jurgen,Yes i own one set now that ia'm restoring when ever i get the time...it's a 22" bass.13" tom 16" floor tom..I also have a 14" snare in W.M.P...I have also own a few other set's in the pass but have sold them off or traded them...In fact the W.M.P. snare i have has the same strainer that your have but it's the heavy made one...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi Mikey!

You own a whole set? Sounds great, can you please post some pictures of these drums? I wonder what they look like! How old are they?

Has your snare drum also a very thin shell as mine? How does it sound?

Sorry, load of questions:), but I´m so curious to know more about these drums.

Many thanks for your reply!

Regards, Jürgen

Posted on 14 years ago

Actually, Roxy was not a maker of drums but a marketing name----property of one Rudolf Linnek ,who also sold organs,banjos,cymbals,trumpets,stands----probably guitars too. His drums were made and badged by Tromsa in Russelsheim and shipped unchanged,except for the badge(put on in the factory) and the Roxy labels he pasted over the Tromsa label on the carton.Roxy drums first appeared in the 1950's and lasted until possibly the 80's Some of his hardware may have come from a different source. The drum that you have Jurgen is unlikely to be Tromsa and it definitely isn't Roxy. The shell appears to be Beech and although structurally it resembles a Tromsa shell Tromsa(and therefore Roxy) used Poplar as a shell---with rerings made of Beech. Tromsa also had slot style T-rods not square. As for the throwoff: Tromsa weren't the only ones using a lateral cam type throwoff. I have never seen one like this on a Tromsa. The Olympic Discus(Piccolo) has a similar throwoff too. If I had to hazard a guess regarding the maker and obviously ,there were small drummakers in Germany that are virtually lost---I would say an early Deri.----but that is a guess based on some features of the claws.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here