Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Please help ID these MIJs

I have a collection of these thin MIJ shells that I will make a kit out of. These pics pretty much show all of them, and in fact the FT and turquoise Whitehall are GONE. I have (of all things) a 16in Slingerland shell I will use as the FT (also thin with re-rings).

Clarification - so the ones in question are the blue sparkle 12in, the red sparkle 13in, and the 20in BD. 12 and 20 are part of the same kit. The red one is a Norma (Norma was made by who?)

Thing is - not sure if these (and which ones) are Star made or Hoshino made. Maybe also a Pearl in there - been a while since I looked at these and tried to figure it out. Check out the muffler knobs on the blue tom. NOTE: FT was a match and I probably should not have sold the FT....was helping out a fellow forum member complete a kit and was just being generous. Of well - will be 75% MIJ I suppose (as I have an MIJ thin snare shell I will use too).

When providing your best guesses, please be specific, as I am pretty sure these are not all from the same maker.

Thanks!

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

That's the wildest double tom mount I've ever seen. Shame the other spade is missing...

But that third pic, the tom, looks to me by the lugs to be a Maxtone. I have a bunch of those lugs I was going to use to make up a basher-kit a while back, and Learned Advice from our Forum Gurus here informed me thusly. Of course I could be wrong...

Posted on 8 years ago

That tom mount certainly looks home made. And it also appears that half the bass drum lugs are snare lugs with the guts removed to allow the T-rod passage through.

I wonder if the bass drum at some point had single center lugs. Doesn't really look that way though,unless they were longer lugs that I'm not accustomed to seeing.

Name wise, as I like to say - Pick a name from the hat. I've seen those lugs before, but no certain name is coming to mind. I have them on a few no name shells myself.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

I believe it is safe to say that the 12, 20, and the 14 FT were all together originally, so we can look at all those hardware features.

Obvious that the BD lugs are a custom fitting. Only clue on the BD is the rail (I believe the spurs/leg mounts are quite universal on these old MIJs).

So, we have the muffler knobs and FT leg mounts we can go by. I was hoping that someone would be good enough that they recognize something by the interior wood, perhaps we are not quite that good!

Note also the diamond shaped clip mount on blue tom. Typical, indicative of ?

I am attaching a FT pic (maybe more than one) that may give us a better view/clue, although I have already sold it.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 8 years ago

Believe it or not I think I see ( for me anyway ) the give away. The way I can tell is the lack of bearing edge. As this was a recent topic with a snare I own, and a Hoshino kit, seems to make the most sense. After looking at the first pictures I notice the bass drum and tom are also lacking bearing edges. I'm gonna go with Hoshino.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

The lack of edge is not an exclusive feature of Hoshino, though it might be true of all Hoshinos. I have seen Pearl made drums with edges that look the same. I believe the hardware will be the most telling features.

Meanwhile, I would like to hear (read) what others have to say about these edges and edges of known Pearls/Stars.

Angel - what do these hardware features suggest to you in light of your MIJ drums you have? You have other MIJs than your recent Hoshinos?

Posted on 8 years ago

The ones with badges have different lugs. I know my Tempro kit was by Pearl. And I think my Crown was Tama.

Truthfully I've never seen a lack of edges on any other MIJ except Hoshino. Then again, I never noticed such until recently.

The lugs those have appear to be similar to what is on some Apollo & Star kits on the Vintage Drum Guide. Both drums I have with those lugs came without badges.

Something I have often wondered about with MIJ kits is that some seem to have the same hardware, but were made by one company or the other. So I have to ask if both companies bought " slingerland " style lugs from one source to save money on manufacturing. Found this article and it confirms that both companies did utilize these lugs. So might need to go off the floor tom leg mounts which indicate Star.

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/12820-sorting-the-stencils-project/

I do like how he has lugs,strainers,tom holders,etc... with who likely made them.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Could I get some more help here folks?

Soliciting more responses/opinions.......

Posted on 8 years ago

Yikes John! I'm usually pretty good at this, but you've got a pretty hot mess going on there. Obviously the hardware has been tampered with, so I would hesitate basing it on that. Appears to be all snare lugs used on bass drum. I see Star lugs on toms, but are they original? The shells themselves, and particularly the edges don't point to either Pearl, or Star from my experience. Have had several Hoshinos with varying shells, and edges, I might lean towards that, or perhaps, Tesco??? What you planning to do with these? Looks like a lot of work, to end up with something in the end that's worth...? Could possibly sound real nice with some edge work, if you've the facilities.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here