Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Playing vs. Restoring

So I am practicing songs via the ipod for this band I recently passed an audition for trying to learn the full the whole set list and it took all my will not to get off the kit and start scrubbing the mounting screws for one of my ride toms that I had soaking in Dawn. Laughing H

It occured to me I must be getting old or crazy to want to scrub screws more than play. Hmmmm I actually think I am beginning to like messing with my drums more than playing them. (not that I don't love to play, of course)

anybody else finds themselves doing this?

Posted on 15 years ago

Interesting, as I can relate. Just the other day, I was kinda asking myself a similar question - sorta more from the pov of my other gear: recording, keyboards, guitars.

Since I've been dabbling in drums - both resto & playing/learning, It seems I'd rather refurb a drum than keep up with all the other gear & business of music production at the moment.

As a drumming novice, I found myself thinking why it appeared that many drummers I've worked with seemed focused on 2 things : drum upkeep tinkering and "don't bug me with all these other music details, I just wanna play" - now that I'm hooked on old drums and rudiments - I'm feeling a bit that way - buff up the chrome & bang on de drum all day.

I'm seeing vintage drums as marvels of design, simply & eloquently made, and the art of playing as endlessly creative, challenging, almost genetically inbred, sweeping from the most pleasingly basic to a spiritually high craft. OY!

So, yeah - I'm enjoying more messing with my drums (and playing them) than doing all the other musical stuff that I need to be doing - YIKES!

- I'm getting both old & crazy Laughing HDOH

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

My first "real" kit was one I rescued from a storage unit - an early 80's Pearl DLX, 8 piece (it came with an extra bass drum). I never had so much fun doing such tedious work. After breaking down each of the eight drums completely and cleaning each individual part, I was hooked.

But I spend more time restoring than playing simply because of my situation and the fact that restoring them is quiet. Yesterday I had most of the day home, alone, but I still spent most of it working on my Pioneer snare.

But, I'm now starting to really appreciate true vintage drums. I plan on parting with that Pearl kit and investing in some old luddys.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

I like to play em. I think about restoring them but it never happens. I have built or rebuilt some drums but even that has taken a looong time. I'll go down to my drum room with the intention of working on something and I'll sit down at my kit, just for a few minutes, ha! I put my old pink slingies in their cases after I got my little jazz kit, even bought some novus to detail them. That was 5 months ago, they are still in their cases.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here