Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Plastic or metal?

Hello Ludwig guru's - I'm looking for the T-Handle which goes with the bass drum end of a mid/late 70's Ludwig tom mount. My questions is, were these solid metal, or metal with the plastic handle?

My kick spurs have the metal/plastic combo.

Thanks for any info.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Steer very clear of the plastic handle jobbers. They crack oh so easily. You can get replacements at the hardware store, but those will crack, too. Ludwig came out with metal t-handles shortly after that work GREAT. If you want to stay "Ludwig" then look for the metal ones and replace the plastic ones. Mine cracked very quickly. I pulled 'em and put metal on there. No problems since then.

Posted on 15 years ago

It depends on what part of the 70's we're talking here....early-mid 70's was a hex head bolt and you had to use the "special" wrench they gave you. About the time of the 6-ply drums (1976?) they came out with the black plastic handle bolts. They do have a tendancy to crack and break, but only if you really crank down on them. No real need to do that on the tom mount IF you have one of the "memory" clamps......ok, so it was a chrome band clamp, but it worked. The later metal T bolt mount came out about 1986, and at that point they modified the casting to accept the cast memory locks from the Modular hardware series. I guess it all depends on if you are looking for functionality or originality.....as all three types are interchangable bolt pattern wise.....

Posted on 15 years ago

I'm more into functionality than originality, especially on a kit which is only 30 years old or so. I saw some of the metal T-Handles for sale at 2112 for under $4.00. I assume that the thread size is the same for plastic or metal handles, right?

Luddy-Dude - It's for the Ludwig kit I just picked up. Mid/late 70's Rock Machine 5 piece. Like I said, the kick spurs have the plastic handles which seem to be in good shape, but I do remember kits from my past where the handles were cracked.

I also have the memory clamp (hose clamp :) ) thingy so that will help.

I guess metal is a safer bet since these drums won't be in a museum... they'll be on stage.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

big daddy....the metal t-handle thread size is larger than the earlier plastic handle Ts and the hex head bolt type (might even be metric, but not 100% on that) Better off to pick up the newer style mount that way you have the metal t-bolt and the capability for a real memory lock.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here