Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Pitting/Flaking Ludwig Supra

Hello

Has anyone tired to cover their Pitted Ludwig Supra with thin plastic wrap or anything just so it is playable and so it does not leave chrome bits everywhere? I have taken it apart and brushed it the best I could and I was thinking of placing thin packaging wrap around it and putting it back together.

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

Posted on 5 years ago

TDK,

Just aquired a flaky Supra myself and I am wrestling with the same dilemma. I saw one sell on eBay (or Reverb) in the last few days that was painted nicely with a hammered look paint. It was a mustard brown which was kinda fugly, but the paint looked good. It went for a price that was only a bit less than what a flaky example should bring.

I like your train of thought to wrap it with something, then it could be put back to original if needed. Someone needs to invent a shrink wrap specifically for Supra shells. They do make clear shrink wrap bags for things like Easter baskets. I wonder if you could use a strip cut from one of those, then it would be seamless.

I was just going to slap mine back together and deal with the flakes, but maybe I'll give the wrap idea a try.

AL

Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

I bought some wrap (picture of my choice) from Bum wrap and wrapped it around the snare (Taped the seam) This is what it looks like. Can come apart very easy, didn't affect the drum at all.

Wayne

Posted on 5 years ago

Why not just take it to a metal polishing shop and have them polish it down to the aluminum shell?

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=23245

Posted on 5 years ago

3 choices, sandblast and polish to a shine, sandblast and re-chrome however that is very expensive or sand, paint the center bead and cut strips of wrap for the top and bottom. I painted the bead off-white and wrapped the drum in WMP. It looks amazing.

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 5 years ago

I personally love flaky snare drums. I personally think PGM had the best idea of having all chrome stripped then shell buffed. His snare looks amazing. Cost is a factor but i love em as they come. If i were to do something id sand it then spray paint it.

Posted on 5 years ago

If you want to try the plastic wrap, the plastic wrap that is used to ‘insulate’ windows on the inside would be a good source for shrink wrap.

I haven’t used it for years. But after taping the plastic around the inside of the window, the plastic would shrink tight with heat from a hair dryer.

Interesting ideas! Rechroming would be my first choice ... if I could afford it! Bead blasting and polishing by the pros would also get a beautiful finish.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here