Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Pitting. I think...

So, I got this Premier kit, right, and it's awesome, but there's still some pitting on it. (On some rims, and a bit on some stands).

I think... Not sure anymore whether "pitting" is the right word :P (Dutch, eh)... So here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Little goosebumps.

(I don't care what it's called, but it makes it easier to communicate if I knew)

I know there's a couple of threads on pitting already, but it seems like everybody has his/her own method of dealing with it. Or it seems to be more about rust alone sometimes.

I have never really had any serious pitting problems, so I don't have much knowledge on the subject. I read about steel wool, and even (not of this forum, I think) about using sandpaper, but I don't feel comfortable even thinking about using that on chrome.

They're only small spots... Would it be possible to get this cleaned up? And not get scratched chrome :D.

And/or do I really have to "sand" them off before I can do something about the rust underneath? (I understand that's what's under there, don't remember where I read that, so might be wrong)

Thanks

1 attachments
116.9 kB
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, that is pitting and it's a *****. Corrosion under the chrome plating makes it bubble.

It does not clean off, it is permanent without re-plating. Do not use anything abrasive or you will just scratch the chrome.

Posted on 13 years ago

From mountainhick

Yes, that is pitting and it's a *****. Corrosion under the chrome plating makes it bubble. It does not clean off, it is permanent without re-plating. Do not use anything abrasive or you will just scratch the chrome.

Ok, thanks. In that case I will just keep it clean (as in, take off dirt and stuff) and shiny and not think too much of fixing the goosebumps.

In the meantime I'll try to come up with a pixie story, about how rare this kind of plating is, to use in any upcoming attempts of impressing the opposite sex ;)

Posted on 13 years ago

Agree with mountainhick: leave it as it is.

In this case you'll definitely make it look much more worse if you wonna get rid of it by mechanical treatment. Premier's hardware/ chrome is really sturdy, not to be mixed with chrome surfaces of MIJ (partly ...) or any other producers worldwide: you don't have to fear that the pitting points become bigger and bigger.

As I can see, it is a pic of a rim. If you can't live with it, you have to look at ebay for a spare rim in a better condition (but that's costly ...).

I would turn the rim with the worst pitting to the resonant side (... if it's not at a snare drum ...), and especially that part away from possible viewers.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here