Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Pitting and Flaking

Is there a way to slow down or arrest the advancement of the pitting and flaking of chrome components, other than a humidity/temperature controlled environment?

I have a couple of sixties Supras with a nominal amount of pitting, and would like to avoid any further deterioration.

Thanks all!!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Clean them really good and then apply a thin coat of paste wax.... don't forget to buff!

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

From latzanimal

Clean them really good and then apply a thin coat of paste wax.... don't forget to buff!

Thanks, man!!

I use Cape Cod Polishing cloths on all my chrome elements, they do a great job

as well.

Would an additional treatment with paste wax help ?

Thanks again!!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

Thanks, man!!I use Cape Cod Polishing cloths on all my chrome elements, they do a great jobas well.Would an additional treatment with paste wax help ?Thanks again!!

Yes, the wax would act as a barrier to the elements. You could also apply a thin coat of clear lacquer. Both will wear off, so you'll have to re-apply but not for a while.

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

Any more suggestions?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

My Supra did the same thing, and I don't think wax will do much for the shell but I'd use it - maybe it will help. I'd like to get mine re-chromed someday.

It could be that the aluminum shell has a hard time being chromed. Maybe the aluminum expands and contracts more than the chrome does and becomes separated. Painting or coating aluminum, because of it's odd characteristics, is always challenging.

I like Mequire's Cleaner Wax over the others I've tried, and it will help on the lugs, rims and other hardware.

Posted on 14 years ago

I used some "Nu-Finish" automotive polish. It comes in a bright orange plastic bottle. You wipe it on. It dries almost instantly. You wipe it off with a dry cloth. That's it. Great stuff and super easy to use!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here