Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Pioneer snare, parts questions, help needed.

Good day.

I was wondering if any fellas on here would know if there were any tell-tale signs that a Ludwig Pioneer snare was made before the 1930s?

I'm looking at one that supposedly is from the 1920s, BUT, the hoops have been changed to more modern hoops and the throw off was changed over to a more modern throw off.

How had would it be to find the correct hoops and throwoff to restore this back to its original glory?

Thank you very much for your time.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think the '30s Pioneers had a badge that said "Pioneer" and have the thinner, one piece shell.

Many of the '20s one would have the heavier 2 pc. shell.

If it's a 6 lug drum and the the drum originally had two holes drilled for the throw off, it's a Pioneer...if there were no holes originally drilled for a throw off, and it has a thinner shell, it was probably a universal, with the throw off mounted to the top hoop.

An original standard throw off from the '20s or '30s (model P338?) would cost as much as a whole snare drum. Replacement clip style hoops and collar hooks are available new from the drum parts places and look close enough if you want the drum to appear to be correct.

As far as value, the Pioneers in original condition don't bring that much, so a modified one is more worth it as a "player"...

Posted on 14 years ago

Rich,

Yes it does have six lugs, that I know of, (the fellow hasn't sent photos of it yet) as I haven't had the time to see it yet, he's sending pics to speed it up for us both.

Not looking to resell it or anything, but rather play it. Price is $200 as is,.. but I think he may go lower,... we'll see. I just don't want a $200 dollar project that ends up costing another $200 to get back to original condition.

Thank you for your assistance!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here