Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Pioneer Quetions....

Hi everyone!

Just signed up as a new member today in an effort to learn more about vintage snares.

I live in Sweden and there is a very limited knowledge amongst drummers/dealers here when comes to vintage American drums.

I've just acquired a Ludwig&Ludwig 5x14 Pioneer model snare in nickel finish.

It's in decent players condition, extra holes and a few unoriginal parts.

What I'm trying to find out is what material the shell is, brass?

Was this an entry level drum or pro?

I'm very thankful for any info you can give me on this snare!

Over & out/Lidholm

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Your drum is a one piece brass shell. The shell is very similar to the sought after brass shelled Ludwig supraphonics (before they switched to alloy shells). The pioneer was a "mid-line" snare...not top of the line, but certainly used by professionals. Their student models, and later era pioneers, had six lugs. The most desired brass shell tube lugged Ludwig and Ludwigs were the 1920s, and very early '30s 8 and 10 tube lug models that had a heavier brass shells, the earlier ones being made from two pieces welded together. Your drum probably sounds great. Welcome to the club...

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Rich for clarifying things a bit for me regarding my Pioneer and providing some general info on old 20/30's Ludwig brass drums.

I have to say it was good news regarding the drum! Now I really can't wait to finsh cleaning it, put it back together and hear it speak!

I'm still a bit confused though, not regarding this particular drum but for example:

What's the difference between a Universal model and a Ludwig with a heavy brass shell, such as Black Beauty, but with no engraving?

I mean a lot of those snares look almost identical amd there seems to be little info on the drums themselves. No badge, sometimes an engraved "Ludwig" on the side and sometimes "Universal" engraved on the hoop.

Any further info would be great!

Thanks

/Jonas

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here