Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

pictures requested of Ludwig 1959

sorry guys, should have posted pics first off. Please let me know if pics don't come through. Any info on what I have would be great! thanks, GRW

ps. this is the way I reecieved this drum, and the finish is some ones attempt of a redo. As you can see, I need the lower sliding part of the throw... Cant figure out how or who would do all that damage. I would like to restore this drum to original 59 condition if at all possible. I forgot to include the rims in the pics and do have both in good condition. Like I said in my first post, these are six lug rims. However I would need that piece on the throw, and a set of period snares. Also, what would be my options on the shells outer finish? Is there a catalog showing color choice or wrap finishes? The good news is that the inside of the shell was spared, with no damage at all. I would also like to know what skins were put on when new, and can they be found today? If any body needs certain info, or more/better pics, please let me know.

Posted on 15 years ago

That's one angry drummer that would bite a chunk out of a throwoff, that's all I got to say. Angry angry angry. Dang.

Other than that, it's pretty cool. I love that shell. We will get on this and help you out the best we can. In the meantime, search out this site and check into some of the archived cats. Good stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago

HeyWelcome, Here are a few sites to give you some ideas on wraps. Good luck with your drum!!

Harry

http://www.lawtondrum.com/services.htm

http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/wrap.html

http://www.drummaker.com

Ludwig Classic Maple, (Quilted African Makore'), 16x22, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 6.5x14 n/maple and 100th anniversary 6.5x14 Supra
Daughter's Ludwig (jellybean) kit
"70" 14X22 silver sparkle, "67" 5x14 supra, "67" 9x13 blue sparkle, "09" 16x16 Legacy green sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]GR...just for your own info, you could also have just posted the pics on the thread you previously started...

Check one thing on this shell: does a regular drum head fit it OK, with "play" ? (i.e. can you put the head on and still rotate the head once it's touching the bearing edges ? Or is the head snug all around the perimeter of the shell ?)

I ask because:

1) This is an OLD drum..WFL...and they made the diameters a bit wider back then (a 14" was REALLY 14" diameter, or 13-15/16"...whereas today, a 14" shell is actually 13-7/8" out-to-out).

2) IF it was originally a painted or lacquered shell, then it may never have been intended for wrap...and AGAIN...the diameter may be such that if you wrap it, you will have difficulty finding heads to fit.

Just passing along this from my experience (things I discovered the HARD way - having completed the re-wrap and outfitting w/ hardware, only to discover no contemporary heads will fit without the aid of a hammer and a lotta cussing ! )[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

This is an OLD drum..

Hey Jaye being made in 1959 doesn't make it that OLD.

Some stuff made (or born) 1959 is holding up OK. :) but maybe this explains why I can find a hat that fits anymore.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jaye being made in 1959 doesn't make it that OLD. Some stuff made (or born) 1959 is holding up OK. :) but maybe this explains why I can find a hat that fits anymore.

[COLOR="Indigo"]hehehe...OK, OK, so I stepped in that one !Cooked Egg...

would saying : "I meant that it was not constructed to contemporary specification diameters" provide me with a CYA...?

[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Silver"](I didn't think so....)[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I have been looking for a while now and as far as the throw off... All I seem to find is what looks to be a match, but the script LUDWIG repaces the WFD in the badge. Same with the butt side. I posted more pics including the rims.

Please keep the info coming, I really hope to do this right.

ps. JAYE, I put a modern head on the shell, and dont see or feel any size issues. I goes on with a little room to wiggle. thanks, GRW

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I can sell you an entire throwoff, WFL like that one...it's a bit rusty and looks to be nickel, but it will likely clean up pretty well with some DAWN and steel wool. Works smoothly enough, no structural damage or such...PM me if interested. I have had it around here forever....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Well, if you can get a new strainer part, that will be a nice project. I would suggest if you wrap, go with a color/pattern which was available back then under WFL. You will end up with a big-sounding resonant, woody sorta snare drum. It will not be crackly-tight sounding, regardless of how much you crank the heads. It is just not that sort of beast. But it looks like it can be a fun renovation !

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here