Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Pete Best's Drums

Yep. I know that it's way too early but, Christmas is coming. My sister is a huge Beatles fan. From ebay, I just bought a remastered cd of The Pete Best Combo. Okay. Now I'm starting to think. Did Mr. Best, like Ringo, begin with Premiers? Did the Ludwig "allure" reel him in? What kit did he use in the pre-Ringo days? Just curious. Thanks, mates!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

From salty 1322

Yep. I know that it's way too early but, Christmas is coming. My sister is a huge Beatles fan. From ebay, I just bought a remastered cd of The Pete Best Combo. Okay. Now I'm starting to think. Did Mr. Best, like Ringo, begin with Premiers? Did the Ludwig "allure" reel him in? What kit did he use in the pre-Ringo days? Just curious. Thanks, mates! Brian

It sure looks like from the pix I have perused that Pete played a four piece WMP Premier. I could be wrong about the wrap colour, however.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

The only thing about some of those old pics is that they were taken at shows where there might have been many bands on the bill and they all share the same kit. But I do remember seeing at least on pic of Pete Best with some kind of identifying "Beatles" or "Silver Beetles" logo on the kick, no? Or is it the photo that was doctored as such-- that I am remembering? I'm too bu(la)zy to track down that photo right now.

Posted on 12 years ago

Premier

Pete Best at the Cavern Club:

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

I think there were some Olympics along the way as well.

In any case, there are some excellent pics here from the early Beatles days:

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/main.html

Patrick

Posted on 12 years ago

Patrick, I can't thank you enough for posting that site! I sent it off immediately to my sister who is the biggest Beatles fan in the world! You just made her day, sir! A fab, gear and groovy present!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes that site ROCKS!! I had never seen many of those pictures.

I LOVE the pic of Paul with that really, really early set with the "Beatles" sign taped to the front head. I wonder where that set is now?

As for Pete Best, in 2000, my Surf band was on the same bill as him.

We were the last band on, and while I was on stage packing up my drums, Pete came up on stage and answered questions. He came right up to me and shook my hand saying that he enjoyed my playing. It was a great moment for me!! The best thing is that I have the whole thing on Video tape, and when I have more time I'm going to pick out that one frame and make a poster of it and hang it in my den.

You know, Pete's story is both Happy and Sad. Sure, he was cheated out of superstardom by a few months. But, to his credit, he chooses to look at the positive......he was the Drummer of The Beatles, and how many guys can say that? I take my hat off to him!! I am glad he's found both peace and music success in the years since...he deserves it.

Posted on 12 years ago

Retrosonic!

Wow! What a great story! I've heard the same thing about Mr. Best. He appears quite the gentleman, always positve and appreciative of what he has. You,sir must be quite the musician yourself to warrant such praise. Thank you very much for sharing a bit of musical history!

Brian

Posted on 12 years ago

I met Pete Best a couple times and he is indeed a gentleman. You have to admire a guy who was kicked out of The Beatles, contemplated suicide, picked himself up and worked as a civil servant for 25 years, then finally reaped the rewards of his early association with the Fabs. I heard he received a very substantial paycheck for his drumming on early Beatles' tracks that were included on Anthology I. As for drums, Pete states in issue 4, volume 8 of Classic Drummer:"I saw this Sky Blue Pearl set of Premiers that I fell in love with." And after leaving The Beatles, he purchased a blue oyster Ludwig Super Classic.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you Salty. Yes, Pete is indeed a gentleman.

I've been knocking around the New York Music scene for 30 years now, so once in awhile ya get lucky.

Meeting Mel Taylor of The Ventures was also a big thrill for me, as he was one my drum idols growing up. Those mid 60s Ventures albums ROCK.

I really like those pre-Capitol era Beatles tracks with Pete on them. I'm glad Pete made some $$$ from Anthology 1. it was about time!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here