Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Period correct hardware

I have a Rogers Powertone snare shell in Blue Onyx with a serial number of around 10000. Unfortunately, there was only the shell. Anyone have an idea about what correct lugs and throwoff would be needed or used when this drum was made?

TIA

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Chrome ones! And a white coated head with a clear on the bottom, oh, and a throw off and butt plate with some snare wires would be nice....LoLoLoLo

From backbeatkeeper

I have a Rogers Powertone snare shell in Blue Onyx with a serial number of around 10000. Unfortunately, there was only the shell. Anyone have an idea about what correct lugs and throwoff would be needed or used when this drum was made? TIA BBK

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Still looking for any help, not so much as bored persons trying to be funny....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

I apologize sir. I was indeed bored. :o

From backbeatkeeper

Still looking for any help, not so much as bored persons trying to be funny....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Apology noted and incident forgotten. I'm just trying to complete a Blue Onyx with a low serial and was going to use the hardware from one of my Dynasonics. Just trying to be somewhat "hardware correct", but if I don't hear anything, I'm sure as soon as I take a picture of it completed, someone will chime in.....;)

Posted on 14 years ago

BBK!...

Perhaps this will be of help to you on your drum: With a Powertone serial in the #10000 range, that dates your drum at approx. 1965 which means Beavertails would be the correct lugs, but just barely as the Powertone line of snare drums didn't even start until 1964... so yours is just over the line so to speak. Beavertails will be correct though.

Regarding the strainer/throw-off: This is tougher because to be correct, you would need the old style round "Clockface" strainer for this drum... but ... I believe the slightly later redesigned model with the elongated "clockface" will fit the bolt holes, and this is the strainer that most people associate with Rogers snare drums today seeing as these came in at around 1967. So yes, the hardware off your Dynasonic would get this drum up and running, and even look correct too, except to the most discriminating Rogers collector that is. Actually,

What year is the Dynasonic that you are considering as a donor?

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

TommyP,

As always, great to hear from you. I enjoy your typed enthusiasm. I did try the beaver tails and the longer clockface. Everything fits like a glove. I'm wondering if that was what was originally on there.

As far as the parts go....I have 5 Dynasonics, one of which has all the hardware, except someone changed lugs or two and drilled a slightly larger hole in the COB shell, that's why I'm donating her for parts, I figure she's been beaten up already, might as well finish the job and dump the shell.

On a side note, if you check here, this is my latest project. I think I did good, all original, I'm the 3rd owner. Cleveland toms, Dayton bass drum, original stands, pedal and assorted goodies, including a original Ching Ring, Camco and Rogers drum keys, and books. Oh and not to forget, the snare!!

BBK

Posted on 14 years ago

BBK!...

Excellent that it all worked out for you! I have Dynasonics and Powertones, both wood and COB, with both of the Rogers mainstay strainers: The "Clockface", both early and elongated, and always suspected that they would change out as the mounting holes seemed to be the same... your drum would indicate that this is true. Again, being a 1965, your drum originally came supplied with the early Clockface, but the later elongated fit just fine too... superb! Either way this should be a GREAT sounding drum as it is that nice "old growth" 60's maple... nothing else like it. It will be nice to see it when you're finished. Speaking of see it:

Beautiful job on the resto of the Rogers Blue Strata Pearl rack tom, as well as the rest of the set I'm sure. The color wasn't overly popular back in the day, but I've always liked it!, and as time has gone on, it has become more popular/liked today than it was when introduced in 1967. I was offered a 1967 Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity w/wood Dynasonic and all hardware finished in Blue Strata Pearl about 7 years ago... the set was gorgeous! I passed though as I was holding out for THE Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity in White Marine Pearl, which I did in fact eventually aquire... ( shown in my avatar pic ) ... still, I often think back to that BSP BR Celebrity set as it just looked beautiful. Pics when finished of course??!! :-D

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here