Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Perfectionist Opinion

This is when being a perfectionist sucks. My wife and son say the drum looks fine, I can see little pin size dots in the finish. Should I wet sand, paint, wet sand, polish etc again or call it good enough?

The red pic is what it looked like when I got it, brush painted red...ugg it was really bad.

Thanks,

Mike

PS: Hey if anyone has a butt side clamshell sitting around I could use it, or for that matter a whole clamshell set.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

I would call it a day and not touch it. Looks great in the pics! I too get caught up on stuff like that - damn I hate that. But ultimately you have to be satisfied. I would let it sit for a few months and if it is still driving you crazy then go further with it. But I think you'll find that you won't be bothered about it in the long run.

Posted on 15 years ago

Is that a wood shell that you painted chrome? Wow!!! I didn't know they made a chrome paint.

Posted on 15 years ago

That's a beautiful drum, me I'd homemade varnish it like a violin and put calf heads on it, that would be my angle on it.

My favorite one is you redo it and then there's more pinholes! Usually pin holes are because the paint needs some flow agent, that's what it's been from my limited car painting experience.

The winners in life seem to be those that can look at the big picture in every circumstance. I can't tell you what that is for you.

What did you use, kind of paint, just spray can? And what did you use to polish it? Electric buffer? The overall look is very impressive to me.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the input as always. I went out and polished it again and I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone. This drum is going to be a player so I'm sure in a few years it will find its way back to the shop again.

I painted it with Valspar gloss black out of a can. I wanted to spray it with car paint but man that stuff is $$$ like $100+ and I couldn't get the stuff in small qauntities.

I painted, wet sanded, then put on another coat, wet sanded then started cutting it with 3 different compounds. If I was going to do it again, I would of just kept on putting coats the first time and not added the second round of coats after the initial wet sand.

Cya,

Mike

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

From GoneDrumming

I painted it with Valspar gloss black out of a can.

Why do the pics look like chrome not black?

Posted on 15 years ago

I think it's the reflection of my overhead lights on the paint. I will take it outside and get a couple of pics...

The specks in the first one are dust.

2 attachments
58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here