Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Peeling Paint on Vintage, Ludwig Snare

I acquired a Ludwig snare dated Oct 20 1959 which is made of wood. I researched it and it is a Green/Gold Duco from 1959. The paint has peeled extensively. It flakes to the touch. Is there a way to stop the peeling? Should I have a pro strip and re-paint it? I don't want to further damage it, but I would like to make it look a bit better. I have seen drums that were strip and left a natural wood color, which looks appealing to me. Any thoughts?

http://i39.tinypic.com/156zjbl.jpg

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Ooooh...too bad. I think that one is beyond keeping the original finish.

You can strip and either lacquer or tung-oil finish it and have a wood-finish snare...or...a motorcycle or auto painting shop can actually paint a duco finish on a drum...they have the proper equipment to do a really good job. So you can get them to match the original color and do that, too.

Man, that particular combination of colors, you don't see that hardly ever. It's very cool.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

what do you use to remove the paint? a very fine sandpaper?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]YOu could sand it off...or use a liquid paint stripper.

If you were to get it repainted, you would then need to fie sand it down to probably 220 grit smoothness..start with 80 grit, go to 120, 180, and finish with 200. The surface has to be really fine-sanded if it's gonna be repainted.

Also, a paint stripper/remover tends to open up the grain of the wood, so that is another reason to fine sand it.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I plan to convert the snare to a natural wood color. Maybe just put poly on it after removing the paint.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK, see how it cleans up then...sometimes with Duco finish, there are still miniscule bits of color left in the grain of the wood.

...may I also suggest using Tung Oil instead of Poly as a natural finish....it is more labor intensive but looks and feels much nicer....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Gotta jump in here with what works for me. I use a red devil brand 1 inch scraper, kept sharp with a file, and a heat gun. Be careful with the gun, keep it moving. The paint will come off easily. Then I sand with 80, 120 then 220. I have a 1960 Pioneer that was factory white with the finish failing so I finally stripped it and low and behold, there's this beautiful figured maple veneer underneath the paint. Now it's varnished, beautiful.

1971 Gretsch Moonglow 12, 14, 18
1980's Pearl Export 10, 12, 16, 22
1960's Kent Blue Sparkle 12, 14, 20
1965 Slingerland Mahogany 12, 15, 20
1967 Ludwig Mahogany and Maple 12, 14, 20
1963 Ludwig Maple NOB Pioneer
1930's? Ludwig and Ludwig 5.5x14 Maple
1971 COB Gretsch 5.5x14
Olive badge Acrolite
Various Kent mongrel snares
Posted on 15 years ago

From anxiousman

Gotta jump in here with what works for me. I use a red devil brand 1 inch scraper, kept sharp with a file, and a heat gun. Be careful with the gun, keep it moving. The paint will come off easily. Then I sand with 80, 120 then 220. I have a 1960 Pioneer that was factory white with the finish failing so I finally stripped it and low and behold, there's this beautiful figured maple veneer underneath the paint. Now it's varnished, beautiful.

ooooh, post some pics of that bad boy.Cool1

I would also suggest a once over with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol after the final sanding. It will show you if you left anything behind and need to sand some more. Better to find out this way than to let the poly or tung show you. I found that out the hard way.DOH

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the posts. I think I have the "how" part down. The question now is "IF" I should do it. A couple of people (drummers) cringed at the idea. They say "don't remove the original paint." I think it looks horrible. The paint falls off if the slightest breeze hits the paint. It flakes to the touch. I think I will go forward with the stripping. Any thoughts ?

Posted on 15 years ago

I say remove that old paint - hell, it's removing itself. I'm all about preservation, but in this case it's beyond preserving. Plus, I really like natural finishes.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here