Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Pedal straps - source OR technique?

Hey, gang -- I'm trying to find a source for nylon or kevlar or whatever straps for pedal restorations. I'm making my own leather ones, and I think the guys playing them are going to have a fairly light technique, so stretching etc should be minimal.

Having said that, I'd like to have the option of using another material. Most of the shops are pretty cool about measuring the replacement straps, but not all are in stock.

Anyone know the dimensions of the DW replacement strap.? Or any others? The Gibraltar leather is a hair wide and too short....

OR... strap material is available, but I've never been able to get a smooth, even hole in it. Heat an awl and ease it through? Or... what kind of technique works?

Many thanks! -- the people an this site are ALWAYS generous and helpful!

Posted on 12 years ago

If you're using good, strong leather, that's good enough. I have made a belt or two for myself and a simple, made for the purpose, leather punch will do the trick for holes. Reinforce the holes with a grommet and the straps will last longer than the drummer. Using leather has the added advantage of allowing you to custom cut pieces to size.

Just want to say, I always admire the work you do on speed kings. I've been using the pedal for 50 years, so I'm a hard-core fan. Nice work, man!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

First, thanks for the kudos. Labor of love. And obsessiveness! And I agree about the SK - can't seem to get away from it!

Good advice about the grommets....I need to check out a leather store for various grades, etc. Personally, I prefer the leather. Just plain better for vintage restoration. The punch I'm using works great- nice and clean.

Many thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here