Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Can anyone tell me (based on this one picture) if this is a pearl or stencil? It has a brass shell (without chrome) and die cast hoops. It's a 10 lugger.

1 attachments
Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 8 years ago

From bartw

Can anyone tell me (based on this one picture) if this is a pearl or stencil? It has a brass shell (without chrome) and die cast hoops. It's a 10 lugger.

Usually older Pearl COB snares have a Gladstone-style strainer & either a weird T-shaped butt-end or later fully adjustable snares on the butt-end. Even the Maxwin by Pearl ones. Since this one has the a Stencil style strainer, maybe the strainer was swapped out, but since both strainers were made by Pearl they have the same hole spacing? Also, I can't tell by the picture how many lines are on the shell. I'm really intrigued by this one! I'm sure it sounds fantastic!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 8 years ago

This is from a 1970 catalogue, which seems the year they went with the gladstone style strainer. The one on your snare looks to me more like the style that was on Pearl President kits a year or so earlier (pic #2), but again, hard to define in the picture of your snare.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 8 years ago

Pearl and Yamaha used that snare throwoff design in the late 70's to mid 80's.

It was an OEM design design as I remember ROC drums using the same mechanism.

Truly dreadful sounding as it rattled and buzzed no matter how you tuned it.

Could be a Pearl Jupiter snare:

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--A1jNvqIO--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1460673224/ehcfaudjgi8vjb3bjxak.jpg

Posted on 8 years ago

Looks like the parallel style strainer rather than a regular slim standard stencil one funky posted pics of.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

ok, thanx, Folks. I may be lucky and buy this one for around 35 bucks. But I'll have to wait a bit for a reply by the seller.

Posted on 8 years ago

From bartw

ok, thanx, Folks. I may be lucky and buy this one for around 35 bucks. But I'll have to wait a bit for a reply by the seller.

I'd pay $35 for the die cast hoops alone and call it a bargain.

Posted on 8 years ago

My thoughts were also on Pearl Jupiter.

Seller (not me) wants 80-100 euro without shipping. At least, that's what she told a friend of mine, that is interested in buying this snare. Not that much, if Pearl Jupiter.

Posted on 8 years ago

That's what she mailed today also.

We'll see.

It's not that I have a lack of snares Cool DudeCool DudeCool DudeCool DudeCool DudeCool Dude

so I won't mind passing it.

Posted on 8 years ago

I've been told that for Pearl cobs I think the die-cast hoops started in 77ish which is around the same time they changed the parallel strainer mech... could be in that late 70s early 80s period.

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here