Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Pearl Wood-Fiberglass four-piece kit

Look what I fell across this weekend--an old Pearl wood-Fiberglass kit. This is the first time I've laid hands on one of these. Normally not my speed and I really don't need another kit built around a 22" kick, but the cool wrap totally hooked me. They'll be a little bit of a project as they were left set up but unplayed for something like a decade, apparently, but the pieces that are missing shouldn't be too hard to find and everything that's there works.

Drums are all covered with dirt and grime but structurally in good shape (yay Fiberglass?). Sizes are 14x22 kick (with both hoops and inlays), 9x13 and 10x14 rack toms, and a 15 (I think) x16 floor tom. The lug casings have been removed from the bottom of the floor tom, bottom rims missing from all three toms, and I'm missing a T-rod and clamp and maybe a few other pieces. The metal's in really good shape, considering. Like I say, a lot of dirt and grime but maybe a fairly dry spot because there's a little surface pitting but no rust on most of the hardware.

My next step will be to remove all the hardware from the shells the better to clean both. I'll try to do better about taking pix and posting here; I tend to get caught up in the moment and just charge forward without documenting the project. I'm not really familiar with Pearls from the '70s; my first kit was a Pearl Maxwin but since my second kit was an old Slingerland I've never gone back. A look through the archived catalogs and articles here leads me to guess they're somewhere in the '74-76 range. I don't find a sample of this wrap anywhere, though. Does anyone know what it was called? Anything I need to know before I get going on my clean-up of this kit?

Currently playing for loud rock and roll gigs:
1982 Ludwig Classic in white Cortex, 24-13-14-18 + Coliseum snare
For quieter gigs:
Early '70s Whitehall Tiger Eye Pearl 20-12-14-14
Neglected but thinking about:
Early '70s Sonor Champions in Rosewood, 22-12-13-16
Posted on 12 years ago

I believe thats close to Kents red oyster pearl,which only Kent used.Its not exactly the same but very similar...great find!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Yeah, maybe it is just a faded Gold Oyster Pearl, like this from the '69 catalog.

For quieter gigs:
Posted on 12 years ago

It looks a little faded, but I'm pretty sure it's what was called "Red Oyster Pearl" in Pearl's 1973 US catalog. When they put out their 1975 US catalog, it was not listed (and assumably no longer available). I'd guess 1973 or 74, based upon the finish, the hex-sided tom mounts, and the round knob on the spurs. Is the interior white, or a tan-type of color?

BTW -- I have some scrap pieces of that wrap if you need some for some patches...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

I wondered about the Red Oyster Pearl but decided that it was too orange for it to match. I could be mistaken, though.

I'd say the interior is more tan than white, Bill. And I'll keep you in mind should I uncover any bad spots that I've missed, but the wrap seems to have held up remarkably well.

For quieter gigs:
Posted on 12 years ago

What's under the hardware will probably tell the story. I've seen a lot of wrinkles and rips in this type of finish which is why I mentioned it.

If my memory serves me correctly, when Pearl first came out with the wood-fiberglass shells they were an "earth-tone" type of tan, like most of their fiberglass shells were during the 70s. At some point in time they changed it to a white fiberglass coating. But, like most whites, over time they tend to yellow a bit anyway. The W/FG ones I have are all white inside...

By all means, post more pics as you work on these, as I'm a big fan of these drums...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

All right, I've stripped the hardware from the three toms. Like I said, the drums are just grimy as hell but not really rusty. It's just layers and layers of ick that need to be stripped away. You can see in the pix below the difference in the interior and exterior of the lugs. There's a small cylinder of styrofoam slid into each spring but no padding between the spring and the interior of the lug like on some other brands. And from the side-by-side shots you can see how they clean up. Not perfect for sure, but once they're all cleaned (and polished, which I haven't done with the ones below) it'll be night and day.

With a little luck I'll get the bass drum stripped and cleaned tonight.

For quieter gigs:
Posted on 12 years ago

Progress report: I've been working on my Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit as I have time in the evenings and have gotten a good bit accomplished. I decided to start with the hardest drum, the kick, which had the most hardware and square footage to clean. i was lucky in that no lugs broke as I removed them since they're larger than the ones on the toms and I couldn't swap them around. The hardware was in great shape structurally and poor shape cosmetically (see side-by-side pix above of a couple of lugs I removed from one of the toms). I took the lug assemblies completely apart--screws, washers, lug casing, threaded insert to receive the T-rod (what's the name for that piece?), spring, and styrofoam cylinder--and soaked the casings and inserts in warm, soapy water and the screws and washers in vinegar. Wow, what a good trick! Happy to have learned about that before this project. The vinegar dissolved the worst of the funk on the screws and washers and allowed me to just rinse and dry them instead of having to get the old toothbrush out.

The lugs were nice and heavy and had a good chrome job. Every one had some pitting but none of them had any rust, dings, or dents. They shined up great after a cleaning with soft-bristle toothbrush, washtowel, rinse, and t-shirt buffing. Didn't even need to apply chrome polish. Toms mount got the same treatment and looks great. The ball-joint tom arm that I was able to completely disassemble also got the full bath, but the one I couldn't crack loose got just a vigorous surface cleaning (they don't look any different but I like to do the job right when I get into a project). The spurs were the hardest because of the grease and grime on the threaded lower sections, but they finally got finished and are shiny like the rest of the hardware.

I cleaned the drums inside and out with a moistened, lightly soapy cloth. The interior was done after two scrubbings and rinses, but the grime on the wrap was seriously thick. I wound up having to rub it down several times with a wet cloth just to get it softened enough to scrub off, but at that point diligent application of elbow grease to a soapy washtowel removed it.

I've reattached the kick drum's hardware and will address the hoops next. It's great to have both original hoops with a kit like this, but of course there are some issues. The strip of wrap is equally grimy and there is some surface rust on the lower third of the batter side around where the kick pedal was. Fun! After I redress those wrongs, I'll apply some car wax to the wrap and shine it up and be ready to put new heads on.

The bearing edges are in good shape overall, but not pristine on the reso sides of the toms. I'll probably touch them up with some light sandpaper and steel wool. Tom rehab should be much quicker than kick drum work.

Of interest is the fading in the wrap, which is highly uneven. You can see in the pix below where I've removed the lugs from the 14" tom that where the orangey color was predominant the fading is severe, but where the other silvery black is there's not much fading at all. The wrap's not torn anywhere but it has shrunken over the years and there's a slight pucker at the end of each lug and around the holes where they mount. Tough stuff overall, though.

The floor tom's bottom lugs had been removed and a few more broke when I was taking them off the other toms, so I'm missing a few parts that I'll need to complete the rehab. Here's what I need: eleven lugs for the 14" tom, a 14" six-lug rim, a claw and T-rod, and ... that's it, really. Bill, Mikey, anyone have these before I post in the "Wanted" section?

For quieter gigs:
Posted on 12 years ago

Based upon your latest pictures, I'd say you were right on the color: Gold Oyster Pearl. Which, based upon available catalog pictures on VDG, would seem to make your set very early 70s.

Gold Oyster Pearl was available in the 1969 catalog, but not the 1970 one. But all sorts of things seemed to happen during transition times, which could explain the Gold OP. Also, since you said the interior is more tan than white, that would imply early 70s.

Also, something else I hadn't noticed: the mid-to-late 70s versions of the Pearl W/FG drums have the "Pearl" and the "Wood Fiber Glass" badges placed not together as in your photos, but apart, appr. 10:00 and 2:00 between. So, that also implies early 70s.

Every 70s Pearl FG and W/FG I've had the pleasure of restoring/refurbishing have had the lugs with the styrafoam tube in the spring, so I'm pretty sure that was pretty much standard back then. The lugs were also much heavier-duty than the ones they used in the 80s and on. Yours are definately 70s version.

Hey, keep up the good work and keep the updates coming. As I've said many time on here my passion is this era of Pearls'.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
Posted on 12 years ago

Nice kit! It will look great all cleaned/new heads......

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here