Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Pearl Spin Tight Tension Rods with Acrolite/Black Beauty

I just picked up some packs of the Pearl Spin Tight tension rods. They come factory fitted with Pearls hybrid snare line, however they also sell them separately.

They are essentially an expansion bolt tension rod, controlled by an allen key. They apparently lock in tuning and won't allow the tension rod to work loose under heavy rimshots with a low tuned batter (both of which I like)

I emailed Pearl re their compatibility with different snares, they replied that they will work with all Pearl snares but couldn't vouch for other brands.

I'm asking on here as I want to make sure these are ok to use with Ludwig's Imperial/Bowtie Lugs etc, whichever way you look at it there's something expanding inside the lug, depending on the drum it will be at a different depth that the tension rod sits in the lug

I've saw a guy mention on a forum about special ordering longer inserts for imperial lugs to accomodate these tension rods and make sure the expansion happens further down the lug. I'm unsure if this is necessary?

They are 32x47mm.

When I eyeball the Spin Tight tension rod alongside an Acrolite it appears the tension rod will sit deep enough in the lug casing. The BB imperial lugs might need the longer inserts?

I would love to hear if anyone has tried using them on other snares and if any mods are needed to get them to work?

Posted on 1 year ago

I use them on my two favorite snares. I don't know what the measurement rim to lug is, but if a quarter inch of the tension rod is threaded into the lug insert, it looks like that would work. They start expanding about an eighth of an inch up from the end. You don't need to crank them to work, just a bit of resistance works.

Posted on 1 year ago

Interesting idea. My questions would be: what happens when you lose the special key and you need to tune the drum or change a head? What happens when you over tighten the center allen bolt and it snaps?

Posted on 1 year ago

I think it's an interesting idea. I would imagine you just use these at the points where you're really pounding the snare drum? But, for the price... $75.60 for 4 rods and the special key at DrumsOnSale... I think I'll pass! A set of 8 or 10 for the batter side gets pricey! https://store.drumsonsale.com/products/pearl-spin-tight-starter-pack-key-4-tension-rods

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here