Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Pearl snares

Hi fellas, these are two Pearl snares I got recently. One of them is a Jupiter (got this one a month or so ago) and the other one is a B-414D (got it this week).

The Jupiter is in rather poor condition, lots of rust pitting on the hardware and shell (if that makes sense), when I got it the mechanism wasn't working but I took it all apart, cleaned it and it worked fine again. I got it for €100, being in player's condition I thought it was an OK deal. The shell was hard to clean, I took the clear lacquer off to clean it as much as I could by hand as I don't have a buffer of anything like that in the house. It seems it used to be COB but not so sure.

The B-414D on the other hand is in good condition. I think it came original with Power Hoops and the top hoop was swapped with a die cast. I took all the hardware off and I noticed the drum was dropped a few times, there were dents on both sides where the mechanism meets the shell, and the bottom hoop is out of round. Other than that it's perfect, the shell is very neat for almost 30 years old and the hardware is also pretty clean, almost no rust pitting whatsoever. Got this one for €150, I think it's a pretty good deal.

I would like to hear your opinions on these snares, value wise etc.

And yes they sound amazing! I'm very happy to own them.

Posted on 8 years ago

Those are good looking drums. I like the Jupiter. I've owned its smaller cousin, the B4514 (5x14) chrome over brass version with a Gladstone strainer. It was a well-built drum and sounded great to me.

I don't have any experience with the 2nd drum, but it looks nice. I've tapped out dents on brass shells with success by using a piece of contoured wood and a hammer. A few light taps made the dent barely noticeable.

Posted on 8 years ago

Like Mo Tonkie. I own a B4514, which is my main snare. I'd love to hear sound files of the Jupiter though! They both look like keepers to me!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 8 years ago

Did Jupiters ever have stock die-cast hoops? I am thinking not - so those are aftermarket...score (if you like 'em)

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here